Please Help Identify These Millipedes

Wesley Smith

Arachnoknight
I found this species in Douglasville, Georgia in a second growth deciduous forest, they are very big for the area and from what I can tell they are either Euryurus leachii or Auturus evides. If you know what these are for sure, please let me know what they are. I have three of them and if they breed they are up for trade, I can't find any of them for sale anywhere but then again it's hard to find something when you don't know what it's called. IMG_3651.PNG

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
This neither closely resembles Euryurus or Auturus. While it certainly is in the Xystodesmidae family, it possibly could be Pachydesmus crasscutis. A more detailed picture of more individuals would certainly help.

EDIT: saw the Gallery post, Dicellarius looks pretty close.

Last edited:

Wesley Smith

Arachnoknight
IMG_3695.jpg
So here are all three of them, they may not be the same species, however, they were all found within 6 inches or less of each other so I doubt they are different species. The lighter one was hiding under a bunch of leaves so he may have just molted and that's why he's lighter.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
These are definitely Dicellarius, and a lovely bunch of specimens too! This is not a common captive species (in fact, these might be the first captives) and the red paranota edges are quite lovely, so I daresay if they breed you won't have much trouble getting people to trade for them. Do try to find more, many millipedes make breeding easier!

Wesley Smith

Arachnoknight
Based on my location my best guess is Dicellarius atlanta, of course, we all know this isn't the best way to determine species but it's the best I can do as of right now. Thanks for the help, if I get pedelings I will probably both update here and create a new post labeled "Pedelings for Trade or Sale" or something like that.

Wesley Smith

Arachnoknight
So I went out earlier tonight and caught a bunch of these little guys, I've been keeping some like this but didn't know what species they were. Now I believe they may be pedelings of the original species this post was about. The reason I think this might be the case is because they look similar and were found in the same area as the above species. What do you think? IMG_3700.jpg IMG_3701.jpg
On top of those, I caught a few of these, any idea what they are? I've had a lot of trouble finding reliable sources for millipedes in my area.
IMG_3709.jpg IMG_3704.jpg

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
In the first picture, the small, pale, leftmost millipede and the two darker ones on the far right are both Oxidus gracilis. The rest of them are flatter and appear to be Pseudopolydesmus spp. I'm not totally sure what the two paler ones in the direct middle of the second pic are. The round-bodied millipedes in the last two pictures are probably in the family Parajulidae, possibly Ophyiulus but there are many other possibilities.

ArachnidSpecilist

Arachnosquire
I have already told you before, but I'm pretty sure that the millipede's you have are Polydesmus angustus. Here is a picture:
MillipedeOct2011.jpg

Wesley Smith

Arachnoknight
I don't think you told me the species, but this is the first I've posted of the smaller guys, the larger ones definitely aren't that though.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
I have already told you before, but I'm pretty sure that the millipede's you have are Polydesmus angustus. Here is a picture:
View attachment 271590
They look more like Pseudopolydesmus to me than Polydesmus, but it is tricky to tell from these photos. There are multiple species in the first two pictures, and the darker, more rounded ones are definitely Oxidus gracilis.

Lain

Arachnopeon
I'm so glad I saw this post! I just picked up two of these guys at our local reptile show. They didn't come with a name outside of "flat backed millipede" and look to be very similar if not the same. Sadly I picked two males and by the time I went back for more, the rest had sold. They seem to be doing well so far. Please continue to upate with how yours are doing and if you are able to get them to breed!
20180410_111235.jpg 20180410_111302.jpg

Last edited:

Wesley Smith

Arachnoknight
I'm so glad I saw this post! I just picked up two of these guys at our local reptile show. They didn't come with a name outside of "flat backed millipede" and look to be very similar if not the same. Sadly I picked two males and by the time I went back for more, the rest had sold. They seem to be doing well so far. Please continue to upate with how yours are doing!!
View attachment 272096 View attachment 272097
I don't believe this is the same species, they look slightly wider than Dicellarius atlanta. Perhaps someone who knows what they're talking about will see this and let you know their species.

ArachnidSpecilist

Arachnosquire
I'm so glad I saw this post! I just picked up two of these guys at our local reptile show. They didn't come with a name outside of "flat backed millipede" and look to be very similar if not the same. Sadly I picked two males and by the time I went back for more, the rest had sold. They seem to be doing well so far. Please continue to upate with how yours are doing and if you are able to get them to breed!
*cough* *cough* Polydesmus angustus are called flat backed millipedes

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Those are lovely millipedes, @Lain! :) How are they doing?

@ErinM31 this sounds a job for you! Do you know these species?
Sorry I missed this! I really wish there was a way to get e-mail notifications for mentions but sadly that is not an option. I try to check regularly but then get caught up in work and things and there go several months... :bag:

I think that others have done well with figuring out ID, but once I've had a closer look myself, I will do some digging and see whether there might be other possible suspects. :)