pitaya- dragon fruit for uromastyx?

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey there wondering if I can feed this to my uromastyx? I know its healthy for us and it is a cactus...so quite possibly good for him as well.. thanks!

Toirtis

Arachnobaron
Yes, safe, but in small amounts....that is a lot of sugar for a uro.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's great. I just wanted to give him a little treat every once in awhile. I also read there are lots of vitamins assosciated with it, and I thought the seeds will be a good benifit as well and balance out the sugar intake hehe.
Also what about Persimmon? I see a lot of these available here and I think they taste amazing...and kiwi? I guess kiwi would fall into the dragon fruit category.. hmm

Heres a picture of him before

And here is now. He's dark 'cause he/she just got up, but as she gets warmer she/he turns all pale and spotty. Uro gained some fatty since then im proud!

He didn't like the camera much so he fired up abit dark hehe

oh and the fruit in question

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Our beardies love dragon fruit (edit- I should say our big female does, our male isn't much of a fan).
When it comes to them and veggies/fruits I will try giving them a taste of pretty much anything, in small amounts (excluding avocado, which our book cautions against feedings as it is apparently toxic to birds and its affects on reptiles aren't known)

Mackenzie

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dang Crysta! He looks great! I am glad he is doing well with you now..

I just found out that my sisters (Now mine..) dragons like strawberrys & grapes.. They munched them down real fast last night.. :D

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think its a female as I know Mali Uros turn blackish for males? But I am not sure what size this starts at.

Thanks for the responses :)

Oh, and the dragons all found new happy homes! :D

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I didn't think that type of dragon fruit was very sweet. In fact, I think they need a little more flavor :D The ones with the red insides are much sweeter and tastier too.