Pink toe tarantula enclosure

poopymcgee132

Arachnopeon
Hey im a little new to the aboreal tarantulas and my setup im about to but my t in is a 10 gallon tank with alot of holes drilled in the front so it has good ventilation but im wondering if I should keep the tank up right where the longer side is up and how I made the top originally for or if a keep it like if i was going to keep a fish in it. If someone can just give me a couple tips and maybe a picture of your enclosure so I can get the besst for my T that would be amazing :)

Spaceman

Arachnoknight
The cage should be vertical. Can you send a picture of the enclosure?

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
Check out THIS POST by @viper69, which contains loads of information on Avics. The size of the enclosure depends on the size of your specimen though. I assume it's an adult T? Exo Terra Nano Tall are great products, if you remove the mesh lid. See a picture of my own enclosure below (I will redo the enclosure though and add more anchor points at the top):

A. Avicularia Enclosure.jpg

poopymcgee132

Arachnopeon
The cage should be vertical. Can you send a picture of the enclosure?
sorry this is very bad quality and the enclosure still needs the decor and hide and everything and im drilling the holes today for ventilation (its a 10 gallon) IMG_20200709_152640.jpg

poopymcgee132

Arachnopeon
Check out THIS POST by @viper69, which contains loads of information on Avics. The size of the enclosure depends on the size of your specimen though. I assume it's an adult T? Exo Terra Nano Tall are great products, if you remove the mesh lid. See a picture of my own enclosure below (I will redo the enclosure though and add more anchor points at the top):

View attachment 352094
thank you but the reason I have the tank is because I cant really afford a 69 dollar tank but thank you anyways!

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
With adequate ventilation and proper husbandry you can keep them in most enclosures.
Even short ones.
They just want to climb.

This is what my adult female is in as her final enclosure.

image.jpeg
But here is where her boyfriend lives.
image.jpeg
Both are happy, hungry and healthy.
Just note that the water dish is a formality with these guys and a few well placed drops of water a couple times a week go much further.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
thank you but the reason I have the tank is because I cant really afford a 69 dollar tank but thank you anyways!
Many people who can't afford a brand terra often keep their Avics in empty cheeseball bottles. They are decently sized and offer lots of vertical space - plus it's easy to drill of melt holes into them. Glass is a tricky material to work with, especially with drilling. Here's an example!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey im a little new to the aboreal tarantulas and my setup im about to but my t in is a 10 gallon tank with alot of holes drilled in the front so it has good ventilation but im wondering if I should keep the tank up right where the longer side is up and how I made the top originally for or if a keep it like if i was going to keep a fish in it. If someone can just give me a couple tips and maybe a picture of your enclosure so I can get the besst for my T that would be amazing :)

Earlier days, like 10+ years ago is when I remember people starting to use fish tanks vertically for arboreals. I can't tell you how much success you will have. I've often felt if a T gets enough ventilation be it cross or direct through 1 side only it may be enough PROVIDED the air is circulated. This is hard to do with only 1 side having holes. Good luck.