Pink Toe Aboreal Aviculara Question

JakeyD

Arachnopeon
Hello,

My T has sealed off her web again and normally when she wants food she will sit on the edge of the wood just outside her web and wait. She is in a web tube and hasn't eaten since November 10th. I figure if she was hungry she would be perched in the usual spot? so I shouldn't offer a cricket right? I should just wait? Thanks for the help!

Jake

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
Hello,

My T has sealed off her web again and normally when she wants food she will sit on the edge of the wood just outside her web and wait. She is in a web tube and hasn't eaten since November 10th. I figure if she was hungry she would be perched in the usual spot? so I shouldn't offer a cricket right? I should just wait? Thanks for the help!

Jake
Never really heard of them being trained like that, I'd still offer it and just see what happens. Worst case you pull it back out, but it's not uncommon for T's to refrain from eating for prolonged periods.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
It sounds like she may be preparing to molt. If she's sealed up in her tube web I would refrain from offering food.

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
If she's sealed up in her tube web I would refrain from offering food.
I didn't get the impression that she was sealed up, but yes if she's sealed then nono and go buy another T while you wait. :rofl:

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Yes. Wait.
Offer water on the web if anything.
My one avic molted yesterday. She hasn't eaten in months.
Adults can go months without food.

Last edited by a moderator:

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Sounds like typical premolt behavior. Keep the water full and wait it out. I’m guessing in the next week or two you’ll have a fresh T. They can go long periods without food, so don’t stress on it.

JakeyD

Arachnopeon
Update** I sprayed the web with water and she emerged and is now on the side of the cage outside of the web tube... very confused now

okay now she is drinking the water off the top of the cage, her hind end looks large, was trying to spot a bold spot

Craig73

Arachnoangel
That‘s good, could still be in premolt and obviously needed water if it decided to come out. If the abdomen is plump all is good, they can go long periods without eating. You don’t need to feed an Avicularia to the point it’s looking bloated beyond belief, it should be a nice balanced appearance and could sometimes look to be on the smaller side IMO.

JakeyD

Arachnopeon
That‘s good, could still be in premolt and obviously needed water if it decided to come out. If the abdomen is plump all is good, they can go long periods without eating. You don’t need to feed an Avicularia to the point it’s looking bloated beyond belief, it should be a nice balanced appearance and could sometimes look to be on the smaller side IMO.
Thanks, when you recommend offering food?

cold blood

Staff member
Just drop in a cricket. Because Avics molt at elevated positions, inside web tubes, they aren't vulnerable to roaming feeders like most ts.

JakeyD

Arachnopeon
Just drop in a cricket. Because Avics molt at elevated positions, inside web tubes, they aren't vulnerable to roaming feeders like most ts.
Thanks! I kept the Cricket in for two days and my T was not interested so removed the cricket. I think I'll just mist every 3 days until it molts again? It hasn't eaten in exactly one month which is fine of course, just don't want it dragging to like 3 months or something.

JakeyD

Arachnopeon
She just finished molting, I can see the molt in the web tube. How long should I wait before feeding? I think I just wait until she emerges again right?

Last edited by a moderator:

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
She just finished molting, I can see the molt in the web tube. How long should I wait before feeding? I think I just wait until she emerges again right?
Technically you want to wait until her fangs are black.

I would say about a week or 2, but it won’t hurt to wait.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
1 week MINIMUM. Go by the fang color. They need to be BLACK

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
1 week MINIMUM. Go by the fang color. They need to be BLACK
Everytime I read this exact thing I say to myself I mainly keep fossorial tarantulas and I have never seen there fangs how the hell do you tell when there fangs are black???

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Everytime I read this exact thing I say to myself I mainly keep fossorial tarantulas and I have never seen there fangs how the hell do you tell when there fangs are black???
stay up LATE at night.....:D just go 2 weeks in those cases

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
stay up LATE at night.....:D just go 2 weeks in those cases
Haha nah I'm good I wake up 515am for work need my sleep and I always wait a few weeks anyways. I read almost every day on here and someone asks a molting question and it's usually followed up with a wait till fangs are black and in my years of keeping I don't see much fang at all. Thanks for the reply buddy.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Haha nah I'm good I wake up 515am for work need my sleep and I always wait a few weeks anyways. I read almost every day on here and someone asks a molting question and it's usually followed up with a wait till fangs are black and in my years of keeping I don't see much fang at all. Thanks for the reply buddy.
I have a Marshalli I NEVER see but my Darlingi comes out quite often. I feel your pain, at least part of it

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
I have a Marshalli I NEVER see but my Darlingi comes out quite often. I feel your pain, at least part of it
I found one picture on my phone of my p.ornata and I can see it's fangs. Other than that I don't have any pictures on my phone

Attachments