pinhead crickets

spiderman

Arachnopeon
Does anyone have a good way to handle those tiny crickets without killing them? I have had a hard time feeding my spiderlings.:confused:

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah...Throw them away and get full grown crickets.

If the slings are really small, just use their legs. If they're a little larger, crush the head of the cricket and toss it in.

I tried using pinheads at the start and they're just far too much hassle to be worth the effort.

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It requires a lot of patience.

I used to keep the bunch in an ice cream container then when I wanted some I would pour one or two out into a pill vial... then you can shake them out of the vial into your T's residence.

The other suggestions work very well too.

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Mame 'em

Originally posted by spiderman
Does anyone have a good way to handle those tiny crickets without killing them? I have had a hard time feeding my spiderlings.:confused:
I mash micro size crickets for my 1/4" B. boehmei - it WILL eat freshly killed prey. The litlle guy even pounced on a cricket as big as it - of course, I pulled off the jumping legs. If you know where your sling hangs out, just leave the mashed cricket next to its post.

Peace

slice9

Arachnopeon
Pinheads are just as easy for the big ones for me. I just take a little pill vial and scoot them into there, then I open up the Ts container and dump him in.

I will say they're a bit more jumpy than the big crickets tho.

slice9

Arachnopeon
hmm, that sounded wrong lol........I dump the cricket into the Ts enclosure...........not the other way around :p

DiStUrBeD-OnE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ernie told me this trick

You place them into a critter keeper (one that they cant get out of). Put a straw or something into the home for them to crawl in and out. once your ready to feed the T, you take a plastic baggie, use your tweezers to take the straw out of the home, and shake em into the bag. cut off a corner of the bag and the pinheads come out of the bag 1 by 1.. pretty easy to do, and they dont jump around everywhere.

Ian

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I had this prob as well, but I came up with that (hope it helps):

Take an empty match-box (a small one) and open it a bit. Hold it vertically and try to make one ore more to walk in. Then close it by pushing the "lid" down.

:confused: did all that make any sense???

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Before it's feeding time I put a pill bottle in the thing I keep the pinheads in, add a little piece of fruit to it.
Pinheads climb in to munch.
I lift out pill bottle and shake out a few into the T's enclosier.