Ping pong balls?

mcmitch92

Arachnopeon
I do apologize if this is already a thread but I've searched toys and ping pong and couldn't find a thread maybe I'm not using search bar properly with the correct search terms. Has anyone heard Ts like to move ping pong balls around? I know Ts aren't like dogs they don't like toys but I just wanted to hear peoples theories 😁 I personally reckon they think it's an egg sack and may be trying to put it somewhere safe

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I think they move what's there.
If you put anything new in their enclosure, they mess with it.
It's almost definitely harmless but probably annoying.
Plus, it would look dumb in there.

jay444

Arachnosquire
Interesting question. I think that if they do in fact act like its an egg sac, it sound like a really bad (and sad) idea to me. It would stress the T for sure and for no reason. In either way, I doubt that Ts ''like'' to move the ball around if they do it.

mcmitch92

Arachnopeon
I think they move what's there.
If you put anything new in their enclosure, they mess with it.
It's almost definitely harmless but probably annoying.
Plus, it would look dumb in there.
I did wonder if it just annoys them and they are like hey who put this damn ball here

Polenth

Arachnobaron
I've seen people offer them. Sometimes they get ignored, sometimes the tarantulas move them around. Which can be fun and all that without harming the spider... but based on your other posts, don't think about this right now. Keep on giving your spider space to settle in. In the meantime, search YouTube for "tarantula ping pong ball" for all your entertainment needs.

mcmitch92

Arachnopeon
Interesting question. I think that if they do in fact act like its an egg sac, it sound like a really bad (and sad) idea to me. It would stress the T for sure and for no reason. In either way, I doubt that Ts ''like'' to move the ball around if they do it.
That's a good point they would move it forever waiting for the baby's to hatch 😥 my corn snake used to lay infertile eggs as we never had a male it made me so sad I cried

I've seen people offer them. Sometimes they get ignored, sometimes the tarantulas move them around. Which can be fun and all that without harming the spider... but based on your other posts, don't think about this right now. Keep on giving your spider space to settle in. In the meantime, search YouTube for "tarantula ping pong ball" for all your entertainment needs.
I wouldn't give him a ball yet he's only just started walking on substrate plus he is tiny knowing my luck he would crush himself

Reezelbeezelbug

Arachnosquire
That's a good point they would move it forever waiting for the baby's to hatch 😥 my corn snake used to lay infertile eggs as we never had a male it made me so sad I cried
Spiders work off instinct, not off emotion, so they would never be "sad" that it didn't hatch. Also, they're not really visual creatures, so I doubt they "see" it and think it's an egg sac. they would clue off of chemical signals that would be in the web and the eggs to determine what's an egg sac and what's not. Tarantulas sometimes eat or abandon their egg sacs, and they presumably know when to do this, probably based off chemical clues. So I highly doubt one would be tricked into thinking it's an egg sac.

What's most likely is they just run into it while wandering and when it moves, they get triggered that something moved, and they investigate to see if it's food.

mcmitch92

Arachnopeon
Spiders work off instinct, not off emotion, so they would never be "sad" that it didn't hatch. Also, they're not really visual creatures, so I doubt they "see" it and think it's an egg sac. they would clue off of chemical signals that would be in the web and the eggs to determine what's an egg sac and what's not. Tarantulas sometimes eat or abandon their egg sacs, and they presumably know when to do this, probably based off chemical clues. So I highly doubt one would be tricked into thinking it's an egg sac.

What's most likely is they just run into it while wandering and when it moves, they get triggered that something moved, and they investigate to see if it's food.
That seems like a reasonable theory 😯

jay444

Arachnosquire

The spider would not be sad of course, the situation where the spider is caring for the sac in vain is sad from my human perspective. Plus, Ts put alot of energy caring for their egg sac and they can die from caring forever for an infertile egg sac, Tom Moran made a podcast about it. His O.philippinus was so stressed her empty egg sac wasn't hatching she stoped eating and drinking and passed away. I agree with your point that it most likely won't happen with a ping pong ball since they lack chemical signals, though.

Almadabes

Arachnoknight
I put chunks of cork bark in larger enclosures just for decoration - most of the time the T will web them over, move them, flip them upside down. etc. They do this with leaves, water dishes... anything really.

I think its probably the same with the ping pong balls.

The difference is ping pong balls spin and roll easily. So when people see it they think "oh hey its playing"

I doubt its actually playing - some people insist.
If it doesn't hurt the T, then its probably fine.

I won't do it, but that's only cause I'm 100% certain it'll end up buried or webbed over anyways.

mcmitch92

Arachnopeon
I put chunks of cork bark in larger enclosures just for decoration - most of the time the T will web them over, move them, flip them upside down. etc. They do this with leaves, water dishes... anything really.

I think its probably the same with the ping pong balls.

The difference is ping pong balls spin and roll easily. So when people see it they think "oh hey its playing"

I doubt its actually playing - some people insist.
If it doesn't hurt the T, then its probably fine.

I won't do it, but that's only cause I'm 100% certain it'll end up buried or webbed over anyways.
I've read tarantulas are very strong and can lift alot of weight which makes me paranoid about the plastic lids on my tank 🤣 one door slides shut so guessing a tiny T probably couldn't slide it and lift it but the other door is actually broken and I have two red glasses one inside the other on top of it

Almadabes

Arachnoknight
I've read tarantulas are very strong and can lift alot of weight which makes me paranoid about the plastic lids on my tank 🤣 one door slides shut so guessing a tiny T probably couldn't slide it and lift it but the other door is actually broken and I have two red glasses one inside the other on top of it
I made an enclosure for my A seemanni with a sliding top. No magnet, no latch, I figured there would be weight on it from smaller enclosures and he's always burrowed so it wouldn't be an issue.

Well I woke up a few nights ago and watched him slide the top open about a quarter inch before I stopped him.
Had to install a lock the next day.

Don't trust these lil dudes lol.

mcmitch92

Arachnopeon
I made an enclosure for my A seemanni with a sliding top. No magnet, no latch, I figured there would be weight on it from smaller enclosures and he's always burrowed so it wouldn't be an issue.

Well I woke up a few nights ago and watched him slide the top open about a quarter inch before I stopped him.

That must have been terrifying I would cable tie it but then there's the risk of Spidey getting a leg trapped so I'm guessing when he's no longer 5 cm and he's big a mere cup ain't gonna stop him 😱

Ic4ru577

Arachnoknight
Nothing that a piece of well placed duct tape cannot fix. Make sure you measure proper dimension and apply proper pressure when installing for best result.