picking out a new snake

jt39565

Arachnoknight
The Brazilians I had stayed around 4.5ft for my male & 5.5ft for my 2 females, like taratulas they prefer small enclosures and are very nocturnal( that was the only thing I didn't like about them)They definitely arent for everyone.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You can never go too big with an enclosure. So long as the snake feels secure, anything goes. I had one do exceptionally well in an 8' cage its entire life. And, that was a Brazilian...

skips

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Brazilians make wonderful pets. That is a good choice!

Do your research, though. As they do prefer higher humidity levels than your average snake. I would mist mine every three days. But, since I no longer have them, I don't remember the humidity levels off the top of my head. I'm thinking they like it around 60%.
I'm definitely one to do my research. I have to because I complain about people who dont too often :). How would you suggest keeping the humidity up? My dart frogs are easy, I just put seran wrap over the top of the enclosure. Obviously not such a good idea.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm definitely one to do my research. I have to because I complain about people who dont too often :). How would you suggest keeping the humidity up? My dart frogs are easy, I just put seran wrap over the top of the enclosure. Obviously not such a good idea.
I found a BRB back in May, in an empty house. I was certain it would be a Corn Snake when I responded to a call to come remove a three-foot-long, skinny orange-and-brown snake from the bathroom of the house, but it was a Rainbow Boa! He's a very calm, gentle, somewhat shy snake, with amazing colors. I keep him in a large Sterlite tub, with aspen shavings and a large bowl of water, on top of one of the large Colombian Boa cages, so heat rising from that cage warms his enclosure. I found out that these snakes are really nocturnal and mine won't even eat if it's daytime, plus they like it a bit cooler than most Boids, preferring a temp around 82-83 degrees. When I first found him, I made the mistake of setting him up like a regular Boa, but David Beard on here told me to change it, and it made a big difference in the snake's eating habits.

pitbulllady

skips

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I found a BRB back in May, in an empty house. I was certain it would be a Corn Snake when I responded to a call to come remove a three-foot-long, skinny orange-and-brown snake from the bathroom of the house, but it was a Rainbow Boa! He's a very calm, gentle, somewhat shy snake, with amazing colors. I keep him in a large Sterlite tub, with aspen shavings and a large bowl of water, on top of one of the large Colombian Boa cages, so heat rising from that cage warms his enclosure. I found out that these snakes are really nocturnal and mine won't even eat if it's daytime, plus they like it a bit cooler than most Boids, preferring a temp around 82-83 degrees. When I first found him, I made the mistake of setting him up like a regular Boa, but David Beard on here told me to change it, and it made a big difference in the snake's eating habits.

pitbulllady
Nice. That's an amazing find. good to know about the temp. Thanks for the info.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
BRB are awesome. I have a CRB myself and he's incredibly calm. He's about 5 ft. I had rescued him from a girl who rescued him from a Petco and was the one that had giardia that I had posted quite a while back. From what I understand about the BRB and CRB though is that they are sensitive to dehydration so large water bowls are a must.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There are the milksnakes (Lampropeltis triangulum). They're great-looking snakes and most, if not all of them, stay under 5 feet.