Pic of my Aphonopelma hentzi

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here's a pic of my newest aquisition. She/he is very docile, even more so than my rosie ever was. I names him Bowie, 'cause he's from Teeexas. :)

He hasn't seemed very interested in eating as yet. Maybe he needs to get used to his container.

Bryan

Attachments

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hey Bryan,
That's a Texas Tan, right? If so, I have a sling of that. Very sweet. Btw, mine eats like crazy. Mine, however, is still at that pink with a tiny bit of black stage. I'm hoping its a female. Very nice t! Where'd you get it?

Peace,
Gillian

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow you are lucky! My adult female Hentzi is not very pleasant... she has taken strikes at me 3 times now (she seems more inclined to bite than to kick hair) My girl is too aggro for me to handle at this point in time.

The smaller one I have (I suspect it is male) is far too skittish for me to handle right now. Hopefully he will follow the trend of most of my other spiders and calm down after a few months of my company.

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by motorteipidpa
lol here she is before i sold her to you brian.sniff sniff i miss her lol
Tom
She is receiving the best care I can give her. As sweet as she is, I can understand missing her. Either I just get lucky and get sweet spiders, or they just behave for me. Maybe I'm a spider whisperer. :cool:

I guess I'll find out when I get my first Asian. Not sure I even plan to test myself on one of those.

Bryan

P.S. I named her/him (still not sure of the sex) Bowie, after Jim Bowie, not David. :)

Last edited:

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Chris
Wow you are lucky! My adult female Hentzi is not very pleasant... she has taken strikes at me 3 times now (she seems more inclined to bite than to kick hair) My girl is too aggro for me to handle at this point in time.

The smaller one I have (I suspect it is male) is far too skittish for me to handle right now. Hopefully he will follow the trend of most of my other spiders and calm down after a few months of my company.
I'm beginning to think I have the magic touch. I have been able to handle all the adult and sub-adult Ts I've gotten so far. Of course, I have only purchased traditionally docile species. My slings, on the other hand, are another story. My Avic is just too wild. I'm not afraid of her biting ot anything, but I bet that the first chance I gave her she would skittle into a crack somewhere in my office and that would be the last I would see of her.

I have held my little 1/2" Paraphysa scrofa a couple of times. A friend of mine took a nice closeup of it on my finger. I've attached the photo.

Bryan

Attachments

Lost_Tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I also have a Chilean Copper (Paraphysa scrofa). Got it as a freebie with an order from Swift. Looks just like yours, and just that small too. Except mine won't eat :). Good luck with your new T's. :cool:

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wally, the name for my little guy, is not a terribly good eater either. I can dangle a small, dead crick in front of his face and he runs away. :) But if I leave a dead crick in his cage he eats it sometime later when I'm not looking. I've only caught him eating once. There are a couple of live cricks in his cage with him and he just ignores them, even though they are about half his size. Basically, he seems to be a chicken and spends most of his time half way up the wall of his cage.

Bryan

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
I have a small Paraphysa scrofa that I received as my freebie from Kelly a number of months ago. As to it's feeding habits, I've noticed that it will eat well right after a molt, but then pretty much stop once it's gotten to a certain point and will no longer eat till the next molt. As long as the abdomen isn't shrinking, it's fine :)

Scott

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by bness2
I'm beginning to think I have the magic touch. I have been able to handle all the adult and sub-adult Ts I've gotten so far. Of course, I have only purchased traditionally docile species. My slings, on the other hand, are another story. My Avic is just too wild. I'm not afraid of her biting ot anything, but I bet that the first chance I gave her she would skittle into a crack somewhere in my office and that would be the last I would see of her.

I have held my little 1/2" Paraphysa scrofa a couple of times. A friend of mine took a nice closeup of it on my finger. I've attached the photo.

Bryan
That pic is very good! I can see the features on the sling, and even your fingerprint! What kind of camera is that?

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
The picture of the P. scrofa is marvelous. Great detail, and an wonderful shot! Your hentzi is a handsome guy, and I think your choice of names very apt. Like all T's, he comes equipped with edged weapons ;-)

Joy

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi all,
I have an adult scrofa, and a sling. The sling caused me the most grief. I talked to Kelly, and he told me that they aren't terribly big eaters. Also, he said they prefer their enclosure a bit drier. With my baby, I started feeding it late at night, the last of all. I've noticed its a very shy eater. Incredibly sweet, gentle tarantulas.

Btw, GREAT pic! I'm with Joy; what kind of camera is it?

Peace,
Gillian

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gillian
Hi all,
I have an adult scrofa, and a sling. The sling caused me the most grief. I talked to Kelly, and he told me that they aren't terribly big eaters. Also, he said they prefer their enclosure a bit drier. With my baby, I started feeding it late at night, the last of all. I've noticed its a very shy eater. Incredibly sweet, gentle tarantulas.

Btw, GREAT pic! I'm with Joy; what kind of camera is it?

Peace,
Gillian
Joy & Gillian,

It's a rather pricey camera <oops, I just drooled on myself>. It's a Canon D60 and it can take regular Canon mount lenses. The lense used in this case was a Tamron Professional Macro (don't remember the actual name.) That particicular picture came out so good that he is planning on getting a 24" X 24" poster. I told him to tell me the price, and if I can afford it, I'm going to get one too. He told me that he thinks orders of 5 or more get a discount. anyone else interested? I don't know the price as yet, but it is probably between $50 and $100.

Gillian,

Now I know why mine is such a shy eater. Must be the species.

Bryan

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by bness2
I bet that the first chance I gave her she would skittle into a crack somewhere in my office and that would be the last I would see of her.
I played find the curly today. I was packing some slings up to send to tarantula lover when a B. albopilosum sling got away and went under the kitchen counter. Luckly I was able to retrive it or it could have been eaten by my loose P terror.:eek:

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by jwb121377
I played find the curly today. I was packing some slings up to send to tarantula lover when a B. albopilosum sling got away and went under the kitchen counter. Luckly I was able to retrive it or it could have been eaten by my loose P terror.:eek:
What! Are you going to let your pterror starve? ;P ;P