Pic, comparing growth after molt

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Comparing growth after a recent molt. The exuviae is on the left. Pretty cool.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Man, I still get amazed by the size scorpions put on after a molt! It's amazing how they can fit in their old exo. It's like it almost defies nature, but then it doesn't because it is nature! Is it adult now?

Aillith

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Looking at the size comparison between the stingers, it amazes me that that huge version was somehow inside that tiny old exo.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Fascinating right?... Yea, an adult now. It was ID'd as H. longimanus, then as H. spinifer. Seems kind of big for H. spinifer from what I've seen, but I haven't seen very many so I'm going with H. spinifer unless someone else questions it. Going to put it with a female sometime later and see what happens.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Fascinating right?... Yea, an adult now. It was ID'd as H. longimanus, then as H. spinifer. Seems kind of big for H. spinifer from what I've seen, but I haven't seen very many so I'm going with H. spinifer unless someone else questions it. Going to put it with a female sometime later and see what happens.
Personally I think it could be either, the Heterometrus genus is confusing to me. The little differences throw me off. I had a scorpion which I had ID'd as H.spinifer when I bought it, and then months and months later It was ID'd as H.laotus(spelling?).

Anyways, good luck with the pairing!

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Heteromterus is confusing, even with 2 differnt sets of ID keys I cannot be too sure about what I have. Plus, they have TONS of differnt sub species, which always makes me ponder if we're making any mistakes breeding some of these guys. I have two which were pet store bought, labeled as emps obviously, but I knew they were Het's and couldn't resist 9.99 if I could get a matable pair. Unfortunately they are both males (98%) and to be honest I don't even want them and I'd like to stay away from the entire genus. There are a few good ones in scorpionidae but the family is even a little lame. If I was king I'd make Caraboctonidae the starter family and hadrudrus sp.'s most peoples first. Wonderful comparison though, the exo is quite dark still, have the previous ones faded off? It would be fun to play a little trick on someone in the house with a large molt, I thought about it with the last of my babycurus molts this week but they are small enough to not notice. :)

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The exoskeleton can also expand. My o. asper can get HUGE, then molt and it doesn't even look like they got bigger because of how big the exo got.

Mike

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
EAD063 said:
It would be fun to play a little trick on someone in the house with a large molt, I thought about it with the last of my babycurus molts this week but they are small enough to not notice. :)
Hehehe, one time I woke my friend up while hanging an A.mauritanicus molt above his head {D

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The white stinger usually signifies an H. longimanus, someone correct me if im wrong
Your wrong. Thats more about the "age" and the fact this pic was taken soon after a molt, i am sure it will darken up....

Im not even going to try to ID a het, thats just a headache waiting to happen!

However still got an H. petersii thats being a pain in the butt. It HUGE for an H. petersii, bigger than most P. imperator you see... and its whole entire body is pitch black (even telson...). If anybody wants it let me know i would trade it off. Its VERY defensive.
Cheers