*PIC* "black earthtiger" ???

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

here is an example (one out of many others) about the variability of colours by tarantulas – not only in the same species but also with the same specimen!

The following photos are showing the same specimen at different points after/before the molt. Since I have made the photos on different days, there is a variation in the lightning which has also an influence on the colours.

I bought this specimen as "Selenocosmia hainana" aka "black earthtiger". When I got it, it was dark brown, almost blakishchocolatebrown and a little bit in bad shape from the shipping (the hairs at the joints where "rubbed" of).

Few days after the molting, the following photo was made:

Some weeks later, the specimen looked like this:

And this photo was made some month after the molt:

And here is another photo of a "Selenocosmia hainana" aka "black earthtiger" which is from the same import shipment like the specimen above: >>klick here<<
I don't know yet if both specimens are members of the same species, just different colour morphs or if they are different species. "Selenocosmia hainana" aka "black earthtiger" is the name the importer gave all the specimens and with which label I have bought them. I hope they will moult soon and that I can get an intact exuvia, that I can try to determine them myself.

all the best
Martin

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Looks exactly like what I've been buying as Haplopelma schmidti. I even have a black phase (in addition to 'gold' phases) that looks a little 'gold' due to impending molt like yours (not the pictured specimen).

Doug H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Martin,
thanks for the beutiful pics. My "black earthtiger" came out for a little walk about the other night.It has molted probably twice since the last time I have seen it full body.And all I could do was stand there in awe at how wonderful a creature it is.

Doug