Phymata pennsylvanica

Praxibetelix

Arachnosquire
My little entomologist spotted this guy on Goldenrod during our nature walk! Hard to believe she could even recognize it as an insect, she even asked if it was an assassin bug...the girl is smart.

Took some photos and discovered it is an ambush bug. It is very small. Sorry if the images are poor. My phone is my camera, it's an iPhone 4 lol.

We did not bring this guy home, but we did accidentally bring home a Zelus luridus nymph. It was on a maple leaf that we collected for my son's caterpillar. I should post the caterpillar and see if anyone knows what it is... Haha

Attachments

jerremaniac

Arachnopeon
I always say it's not fall without a Phymata on goldenrod! They can blend in pretty well if you're not watching! Nice work on the part of your budding entomologist!
image.jpeg

Praxibetelix

Arachnosquire
That is a nice photo! They have such interesting color schemes, seems they can come in a few different colors?

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's a shame these aren't more readily found and kept in the hobby! I'd be interested to see if they can be bred and raised in captivity.

jerremaniac

Arachnopeon
It's a shame these aren't more readily found and kept in the hobby! I'd be interested to see if they can be bred and raised in captivity.
I've had a pair breed and lay eggs in an aquarium during a weekend photo/video shoot before. The female lays eggs embedded within a foam which dries hard and protects the eggs until hatching. I didn't try to hatch them, the eggs were so tiny I can't imagine what i'd feed to the early instars. They are a seasonal insect though so I suspect the entire life cycle would still end within less than a year, a short-lived but fascinating little pet!