Photo Question For Phillip

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey Phillip, i notice that you frequently post very good quality close up pics of your tarantulas. I was wondering what equipment you use? Ive got a good digital camera but if im not pretty far away the pics dont turn out well at all.

Mark

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can't speak for Phillip, but I've had real good results with my Soni FD Mavica and it is really convenient with the 3 1/2 floppy as storage for the pics. I've posted a close up of my B. smithi on my daughter's hand, my T. blondi, and here is my male G. rosea.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I also can't speak for Philip, but I use a Sony CD-300, it is a 3.3 mega-pixel camera that uses a mini-cd that will hold up to 1,000 pictures depending on resolution used. it takes fair closeups as per the sample below.
Ed

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Atavuss,

That is an awesome picture. 1,000 photos is pretty incredible too. Mine maxes out under 30 pics per 3 1/2 floppy. I may have to check into what you've got there. Thanks.

Botar

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by JacenBeers
OK how the hell did you take that picture?
well......mainly I pushed the little button on the cam that causes it to write the pic to the disk...... :D

or are you talking about the venom dripping from the a. moderatum's fangs?
Botar-right now the disk in the cam has 531 pics on it and the disc is about 3/4 used up. (there are a few pics that I took using the highest resolution)
Ed
:D

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Botar
Atavuss,

That is an awesome picture. 1,000 photos is pretty incredible too. Mine maxes out under 30 pics per 3 1/2 floppy. I may have to check into what you've got there. Thanks.

I should mention that the CD-300 has been superseded by the CD-400 which has more features and costs less.
Ed

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well either camera would be awesome. I checked some sites and they also have a CD1000. Not sure of the differences, but it's a large camera weighing in at over 2 lbs.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Botar
Well either camera would be awesome. I checked some sites and they also have a CD1000. Not sure of the differences, but it's a large camera weighing in at over 2 lbs.
the cd1000 is an older model, it is 2.1 mega-pixels......it does use the mini cd-rom but is only capable of using the cd-r....the cd200, cd300, and cd400 can use the cd-r and or the cd-rw....another interesting thing about the mini cd's is that the cd-r disk are around 5 to 7.00 for 156 megs......and the cd-rw are around 8 to 10.00 for 156 megs.....compare that to the prices of storage media of other cams.....
Ed

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
WOW

That picture of the fangsy t is soooo cool ! Whats his/her name, sex, age, and have U ever been bitten by it ?? I like it so much, its now my desktop picture !!!=D

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The camera in question...

The camera I use is actually a fairly cheap one that the wifester picked up for me as a gift. I want to say it was less than $200 and it is no where near 2 lbs. lol It's no bigger than a regular 35mm and pretty darn light weight. Toshiba PDR-M21 2.1 megapixel. Not too flashy bells and whistles wise and I can't do mpegs but hey I don't have a grand sunk into it either. I can't get much closer than say 6 or 7 inches but when you do the ol 2x button it isn't too bad. Pretty much the spider has to be around two inches for me to get a really good photo unless I try a bijillion times till I get a keeper but anything 2 inches and up it works pretty good. My biggest secret to good photos though is this. Ready? My tripod. Counteracts my shaking busted up hand quite well. I do want to drop some serious coin and get one of the big boys with true macro one day but for now just like when shooting guns I'll have to keep improving the shooter before tricking out the gun. Oh yeah I can hold something like 300 pics on the crappiest setting but I keep it on the finest half tiff setting there is giving me around 120 shots before I have to dump them.
Phil

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: WOW

Originally posted by Spider_savior
That picture of the fangsy t is soooo cool ! Whats his/her name, sex, age, and have U ever been bitten by it ?? I like it so much, its now my desktop picture !!!=D
it is an aphonopelma moderatum (rio grande gold) it is a young adult or juvenile female about 4" legspan. it has no name (I have too many inverts to name them all) I have no idea of its age....if I had to guess I would say 3 to 7 years old. I have never been bitten by it or any other tarantula or reptile I have, nor have I been stung by any of my scorpions.....I am very careful of them and respect their potential.
Ed

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
From the looks of it, what you call "careful" I'll call "nerves of steel". I'm impressed with the photo and the content. Then again, I've had similar experiences with venomous snakes, but I've got far greater experience with them... still a bit unnerved by the T's.

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Man.. I got you all beat. My digital camera is an OLD epson 500 or something to that effect....a poor quality camera that dies out after 2 pictures and cost 500 back in the day.. glad I got it free :D

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
http://www.geocities.com/icfaulk/trillian.html

copy that link in your browser, the link itself wont work

thats taken w/ my Sony P-31 cyber shot

older 1.3 megapixel camera, but that doesn't matter too much in my experiance w/ just web formated pictures.

i got my camera for $90 and i love it.
things to think about when taking closeups indoors are the settings your camera has.
don't use auto... play around and learn what shutter speeds and such work for the lighting you're using.

i know very little about photography so i have really had to mess around for hours just to get pictures that clear consistantly.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Just to let everyone know, the link worked fine for me. :) Funny thing is that any of the pics you currently see on this site that were taken by me were taken with the Sony P-31 as well. I still have a few pics to put up from that camera, but once I get my new Nikon figured out, look out!!! You can take macro pics with it from 3/4 of an inch away. I just haven't really had time to figure out the settings and I think I might need to use a tripod. When I'm that close so far, you get alot of camera shake and it blurs the pics :( Then again, maybe I'll just take a valium ;)

Scott