Phormictopus cancerides

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Well after looking back at Chips thread, i decided to get a P.cancerides from Kelly Swift along with a Psalmopoeus pulcher! I will be sending out the money tommorow (monday) And i want some help on this T, it will be the same size as Chips, 1"+ and i need to know care requirements, setup, temper, growth, ect. Pics if any! CM how is your lil' guy doing? Molt yet? pics? I will appreciate anyones help! Thanks!

James

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Tarantula Lover
Well after looking back at Chips thread, i decided to get a P.cancerides from Kelly Swift along with a Psalmopoeus pulcher! I will be sending out the money tommorow (monday) And i want some help on this T, it will be the same size as Chips, 1"+ and i need to know care requirements, setup, temper, growth, ect. Pics if any! CM how is your lil' guy doing? Molt yet? pics? I will appreciate anyones help! Thanks!

I think myself this is one of the most under-rated tarantula species there is. They are just beautiful (see picture!) and have a lot of personality. Their reputation is for being rather defensive and prone to bite, and though I haven't actually witnessed this myself, it's worth bearing in mind. They are good eaters, do fine when mature on dry substrate with a water dish, and grow relatively quickly. I kept mine when immature on slightly moist vermiculite at slightly elevated temps (80 degrees or so), but I am sure they would do just fine at room temp also. I don't have mine in a burrowing set-up, but my understanding is they are more of a wandering spider in temperament, and this is consistent with mine's behavior. She's often out and about, and makes only occasional use of her retreat.

Joy

Last edited:

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i think Haitian Browns are awesome...but since they aren't particularly docile...i think i'll wait several years. :)

i'll just spend my time admiring all of yours! hehehe. :p

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My P. cancerides are definitely among the most "defensive" spiders that I have. They are also IMO among the most attractive. I have 2 large females and a male that should be maturing shortly. I don't have mine set up for burrowing, but one of the females has done some major substrate moving. The larger of my 2 girls, which my wife and I refer to as " The Haiti Lady" is quite a handful. She usually attacks any hands, tools etc. that are placed in her enclosure. In her case the reputation is well deserved.

Here she is...

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Thanks for all the information! Should i mist it? Another question is will they web or am i able to see it alot? Because after Joys and Jons pics they look awsome! I cant wait to get mine! I will definitly post pics! Thanks again!

James

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They don't lay down much webbing. you don't need to mist it unless it is very dry in your house. It will be fine as long as you use substrate that retains moisture. In the wild I saw a lot of males wandering around when it was cooler at night (low 70's). I never found a female. I suspect they are not on the move as much as the males. The pair I keep here used retreats as slings. They are now 5" and stay out in the open. P.cancerides is an awesome spider. I agree with Joy. They are very under- rated
Mike

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Hey Chip, any info from you? Since i am getting a sling i would want to know how you take care of yours! Any new pics? Did it molt yet? Thanks!

JAmes