Phormic28's Insect iPhone Pictures

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
So I thought I'd start an insect thread as I'm going hunting more often (for a class as well)! I'll update with the species name as I find them:

image.jpeg

Stagmomantis carolina
image.jpeg

Xylocopa virginica
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Phengodidae sp.
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Nice pics! BTW that "firefly" larva is actually something much cooler, and closely related, a glowworm, (family Phengodidae). It's either a larva or a mature female, the females of glowworms are larviform.

They are very cool little beetles, that glow brightly in the dark, next time you see one be sure to keep it until nightfall so that you can see the lightshow. ;)

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Nice pics! BTW that "firefly" larva is actually something much cooler, and closely related, a glowworm, (family Phengodidae). It's either a larva or a mature female, the females of glowworms are larviform.

They are very cool little beetles, that glow brightly in the dark, next time you see one be sure to keep it until nightfall so that you can see the lightshow. ;)
Thanks! I didn't know that, I saw a couple of them around while looking for a Lasius niger queen (which was to no avail, but I'll check back tomorrow and upload more pics!).

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Thanks! I didn't know that, I saw a couple of them around while looking for a Lasius niger queen (which was to no avail, but I'll check back tomorrow and upload more pics!).
Nice. Do you have any special lens? Just a standard iPhone?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
What class was this for (since it's 2 years after the fact).
It was actually just for fun, I used to go out a lot and see what I could fine to hone my identification skills. Also did come collection trips with the entomology club but every time we went to the arboretum/Japanese garden area we’d be chased out by the workers...good times haha

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It was actually just for fun, I used to go out a lot and see what I could fine to hone my identification skills. Also did come collection trips with the entomology club but every time we went to the arboretum/Japanese garden area we’d be chased out by the workers...good times haha
Yeah the workers there really didn't like the entomology students lol. It was a couple Club Insecta people that got them fired up, but one of the grad students that sent them over the edge and got all collecting banned from the area. I'd still go out and collect there, but I'd just have a few vials in my pockets and that'd be it.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Yeah the workers there really didn't like the entomology students lol. It was a couple Club Insecta people that got them fired up, but one of the grad students that sent them over the edge and got all collecting banned from the area. I'd still go out and collect there, but I'd just have a few vials in my pockets and that'd be it.
Meant Club Insecta in my last post, and yea I did the same too, one of the labs I worked in was giving away some of the extra stuff they had and I grabbed a bunch of test tubes and vials. Wanted to start an ant colony but couldn’t find a queen since I started so late