Phlogius, a point of interest to owners

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,
Just watched Nick Baker's "Wierd Creatures" (animal planet) episode on the platypus and was surprised to see Nick in Eungella Range, my hometown :)

Anyway, this is the mainstay range for P.crassipes, Phlogius sp. SARINA, Phlogius sp. EUNICE, with the occasional Selenotypus sp. NEBO found on the western regions of the range. The northern parts of the range house P.vulpina, a species soon to be resurrected by Dr Raven, and further north, in a broken off section of the range (region unspecified till described) can be found Stent's Birdspider, a spectacular Phlogius sp. that is a lot chunkier than the rest of the group.

This area is the lower region of the Wet Tropics area of Qld, Australia and full of mygalomorph diversity.

Just some info for the Phlogius keepers out there who may want to know more of the local habitat of the various species now in the hobby :)

Cheers,
Steve

N.B. Selenocosmia subvulpina was placed by Schmidt into the Phlogius, which was absurd IMO as this species would probably belong to the Selenotypus, so, that species is most likely not part of the group in any way, even if it could be correctly identified (which is impossible anyway, seeing the type is lost and the O/description is beyond terrible, STRAND 1907).

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
nice one Steve.will keep my eyes out for this episode :]
just picked up a bunch of aussie t's from frank today.also got some of the stents species.cant wait for these to grow up

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Steve, Is Phlogius sp. EUNICE a different sp than Selenocosmia sp EUNICE? Just making sure this hasnt been changed without me knowing it ;)

robbie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Great just what I was looking for, thanks Steve. I just got my Eunice the other day.:D awsome T.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Steve, Is Phlogius sp. EUNICE a different sp than Selenocosmia sp EUNICE? Just making sure this hasnt been changed without me knowing it ;)
Hi Brian,
Those 2 names are synonymous :) The correct current generic tag would be "Selenocosmia", although we KNOW that in reality this species has little to do with the Javan fauna and WILL end up in Phlogius ;) So, for a while, you may see a mishmash of the two names until something concrete is written down.

Cheers,
Steve

robbie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi Brian,
Those 2 names are synonymous :) The correct current generic tag would be "Selenocosmia", although we KNOW that in reality this species has little to do with the Javan fauna and WILL end up in Phlogius ;) So, for a while, you may see a mishmash of the two names until something concrete is written down.

Cheers,
Steve
ahh that clears up some confusion. Thanks steve, both for importing and informing us on the aussie T's.