Phidipus regius female hasnt left web in a week

KhalRocco

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone, i recently bought a phidipus regius female, shes immature but not sure of age, shes roughly the size of a british 5p coin right now, head body and legs included.
About a week after i got her shed built her little web nest on the bottom of the critter keeper lid and was spending a bit of time in there but also coming out for an explore every so often, got her to walk on my hand etc. But then suddenly one day she just went in there and hasnt come out since except for maybe a few seconds here and there to have a drink from the side of the tank near her web where i mist it every morning.

She also hasnt eaten anything for a week, wheras she was having a little micro mealworm every 2 days beforehand and seemed quite eager while hunting them. Now she just stares at them from the entrance of her web, shell attack them if they come too close but doesnt seem at all interested in eating them.

Im new to owning spiders, this is my first one, is this behavior normal? I was thinking maybe she was about to molt but that shouldnt take this long, right? She just seems as if shes suddenly become scared of me and her food.

Kinda disappointed as i bought her wanting to observe her and take macro pictures etc, I didnt know they were so reclusive, in fact everything I read before buying her said the opposite.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Hey everyone, i recently bought a phidipus regius female, shes immature but not sure of age, shes roughly the size of a british 5p coin right now, head body and legs included.
About a week after i got her shed built her little web nest on the bottom of the critter keeper lid and was spending a bit of time in there but also coming out for an explore every so often, got her to walk on my hand etc. But then suddenly one day she just went in there and hasnt come out since except for maybe a few seconds here and there to have a drink from the side of the tank near her web where i mist it every morning.

She also hasnt eaten anything for a week, wheras she was having a little micro mealworm every 2 days beforehand and seemed quite eager while hunting them. Now she just stares at them from the entrance of her web, shell attack them if they come too close but doesnt seem at all interested in eating them.

Im new to owning spiders, this is my first one, is this behavior normal? I was thinking maybe she was about to molt but that shouldnt take this long, right? She just seems as if shes suddenly become scared of me and her food.

Kinda disappointed as i bought her wanting to observe her and take macro pictures etc, I didnt know they were so reclusive, in fact everything I read before buying her said the opposite.
Jumpers especially females won't come out of their safe secure homes without reason.

She could be coming up to a shed. That would explain the fact she's drinking but not eating.

But also try other foods. I feed mine blue bottle flies that I hatch out from casters I buy. They fly (obviously) and walk around a lot near the top of the enclosure so they're highly visible.

Don't be surprised though if your girl has a new set of clothes soon.

KhalRocco

Arachnopeon
Ok thats nice to know, thanks for your advice. One thing i forgot to mention tho, a few days ago i put her tank on the window sill and my cat came in the window, causing the blind to knock it over onto the floor which is about a 2.5ft drop. She didnt seem hurt but could it maybe have traumatised her enough to make her not want to leave her little safe haven?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Ok thats nice to know, thanks for your advice. One thing i forgot to mention tho, a few days ago i put her tank on the window sill and my cat came in the window, causing the blind to knock it over onto the floor which is about a 2.5ft drop. She didnt seem hurt but could it maybe have traumatised her enough to make her not want to leave her little safe haven?
It could have shook her up maybe, but that's a lesson learned.

I never put one of my animals near a window in an enclosure as the sun light can quickly heat them up to dangerous levels.