Phidippus Regius Male. Is he an adult?

egyptiancrow

Arachnobaron
yeah probably but the quality is bad. i cant tell if those pedipalps are done. can i see a photo unedited please

egyptiancrow

Arachnobaron
He’s not eating well either.
he sounds like a "runt" its normal but it is stressful to keep watch on them, as well as mate them, as big girls are likely to see him as a snack and not a snacc

it still happens sometimes! one of my tiny boys just mated with a big girl successfully.

for picky eaters, i reccomend fly spikes, flies, and silkworms/small hormworms with waxworms now and again as a treat. they are the favorites for sure

Belinda99

Arachnopeon
he sounds like a "runt" its normal but it is stressful to keep watch on them, as well as mate them, as big girls are likely to see him as a snack and not a snacc

it still happens sometimes! one of my tiny boys just mated with a big girl successfully.

for picky eaters, i reccomend fly spikes, flies, and silkworms/small hormworms with waxworms now and again as a treat. they are the favorites for sure
Thank you! He’s been a handful. I tried feeding him flies, worms of all types, and no success. As a last resort, I got crickets, not my favorite thing to keep in the house, but he ate some. Never know with these guys.

The large female was interested in him, so I let them fool around. It was really funny since he’s so tiny. I guess there is a possibility I’ll get a lot more spiders. Oh well, my backyard can use more spiders, lol (I'm in Florida).

egyptiancrow

Arachnobaron
Thank you! He’s been a handful. I tried feeding him flies, worms of all types, and no success. As a last resort, I got crickets, not my favorite thing to keep in the house, but he ate some. Never know with these guys.

The large female was interested in him, so I let them fool around. It was really funny since he’s so tiny. I guess there is a possibility I’ll get a lot more spiders. Oh well, my backyard can use more spiders, lol (I'm in Florida).
In florida, go for it 😂 i love breeding, but i wouldnt wish caring for all the slings to adoption age on anyone unless they realllyyy want to. keeping a couple isnt too bad though!

Ps so sorry you have to use crickets. my least favorite

gorybmovie

Arachnosquire
He’s not eating well either.
Jumping spiders fast for a week sometimes before a molt. He might be a sub adult preparing for a molt. This time of year, most jumping spiders are sub adults. They usually mature in the spring. I just went through this stress with my female P. Audax. She became lethargic and stopped eating for a week. Then she molted and now she is fine. Give him some space to rest. He can go a couple weeks without eating. The more you disturb him, the more stressed he can get which could cause a bad molt and kill him. Here is a link that provides some helpful information on their life cycle.

Last edited: