Phidippus Audux Eating a Large Cricket PICS

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Man, this is one of my big momma's offspring! He's really a cool spider, and he loves eating other spiders, but i love throwing a nice big cricket in there every so often, because it amazes me how he'll attack that thing and then pounce on it and then just lay on it for hours eating it! I LOVE WATCHING P.audax on the hunt! They just sit up in the corner, watching..watching...turning...watching, then *BAM*

anyways on with some pics..

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
more pics.. sorry they're not the best, as my dig cam is out with a friend around Pittsburgh -- this is just webcam material, but still -- note how big that damn cricket is!!!

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
check it out -- he's got that thing lifted up over his head while he marches it home to eat in peace with my ass taking pics every 20 seconds :)

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LAST PIC!!! once i get my cam back i'll take some beautiful shots of the face -- I LOVE the Aqua Green Chelicerae and the beautiful dark pink/purple fuzz all over! what a beautiful spider! and nice as hell!! they're so funny when they're mad -- legs all waving, pedipalps all at a stance ... :)

rza672003

Arachnopeon
Its amazing that such a little creature can overpower a big ole cricket. Say how do u keep tese guys in captivity?

invadermike

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice Dave!!!! They are awesome, i threw a cricket in with mine earlier, i should check on it see if the crickets still there, That's awesome how they can overpower something way bigger then them. They would be cool to breed.
Mike

invadermike

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here's mine eating!

Well I just fed mine a huge cricket and s/he had problems with it at all, i have some pictures they are so great, i'm going to make a video of her attacking, so you can see the whole, looking watching stalking jumping pouncing s/he does, it's great, i love this spider, it's so cool! Here's some pic's.

Attachments

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
nice pics mike!

as for keeping in captivity-
i keep them on no substrate, lots of airholes, a big water dish with some paper towel in it (its ok for spiders, but not for Ts), and some cork bark -- they web hardcore for chilling and egg-laying, but they'll hammock themselves in on pure glass corners (i have that did that, its amazing!)

they really don't do that well in captivity unless they're pretty happy... but

good luck!
peace,
dave

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Those are just amazing. I cant believe such a little spidey caught that cricket! :eek: :D

Neo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow How big is that jumper? Mines is like an inch long, female very aggressive. Too bad I can't post pics, I got her going up against other spiders and a milworm. It was awesome. Yo can You give me some good info on how to breed and stuff on jumpers. My female got a egg cluster and everything. Where should i put the jar and stuff, I gave you a PM, hope you get it.

Hurry I don't know what to do.....

First time actually raising one.

Yesturday I was moving this stick around and it was so awesome how they follow it around with their eyes, looking.

Jumping spiders just own. If they were T sized, they would just woop all, pounce and bite and its all done. Thats what I think. Well laterz, I need a digi cam....grrr.

invadermike

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Neo, Mine is about an inch too, are the spots and on the back of yours yellowish/orangeish? If so it's not mature yet, if their white, then it's mature and you should breed it!! Mine is mature... but it is so hard to determine the sex because of it's size. It's so small, and i'm not sure if you sex a truespider and a tarantula the same way.... i guess i need help there.. Anyway good luck with it, they are great fun! Mine just molted into maturity.
Mike:) :)

That_Guy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What a wussy cricket...I, mean its like twice the size of it...I would just kill the spider if I was the cricket...;P

Neo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I doubt that you would, considering being a bit entangled by the web and not knowing what a cricket really is like. Things aren't as simple as one usually thinks or will believe he/she will react in another way. I'm not going further....lazy to type.

Later Neo

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Jumpers are the bomb! I agree Neo, imagine if a T had the level of vision as a jumper!!!! There would be less people handling T's and a lot more bite reports. Awesome pic's guys.