Petsmart is killing tarantulas…

thedragonslapper

Arachnosquire
I’ve been into Ts for years and I’ve heard and seen all about this wretched problem with pet stores, especially big chain ones like Pet(not so)Smart. I went into one looking for cork bark recently and they had two juvenile T. albos in the shape sad shape. Small abdomens, wood chip substrate (both were clinging to the walls for obvious reason), illuminated and hot cage. They were $40 each.

Tempting though it is to “rescue” these suffering spideys the only thing we can do to potentially stop this is to resist the urge to buy them if only to save them. You don’t know what kind of condition they might be in. How do know they aren’t sick or something and inevitably die after you’ve purchased them. Purchasing from fellow hobbyists who know proper T husbandry means you can order knowing the spideys you’re getting are most certainly living in better conditions than the ones doomed to wither away in a lit up box. If people stopped buying them then corporate would put two and two together and stop ordering them. It’s all run by out of touch accountants, who not only have no clue about nor regard for proper husbandry, likely have never actually worked in retail before on a non management level, and who at the end of the day only care about profits. We should teach them there’s no long term profitability in trying to sell poorly maintained and sickly tarantulas.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
I went into petsmart today and saw a pink toe with an abdomen half the size of its carapace. It was scary to look at and when I told the worker he said “oh we got that in today” and threw a single cricket in. I think he was lying… I went in to buy a curly hair for my second tarantula and it’s abdomen was also smaller than it’s carapace. It ate 3 crickets right away when I got home (1st pic after 3) and another 2 in his new enclosure just a bit ago before I head to bed, and now it’s abdomen is a good size (2nd pic after 5). How can we get this to stop? Is there a way to petition this?
...jep, and McDonalds is killing people. Who would have thought...

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
It’s abdomen was quite a bit smaller before.
A small abdomen is hardly an issue or a sign of abuse, tarantulas tend to have smaller abdomens after moulting (Psalmopoeinae/Pokies regularly come out of moults with their abdomens much smaller than the carapace), people are bombarded with photos of overfed captive specimens rocking full on ghetto booty and think that's the norm.

Last edited:

8 legged

Arachnoprince
A small abdomen is hardly an issue or a sign of abuse, tarantula's tend to have smaller abdomens after moulting (Psalmopoeinae/Pokies regularly come out of moults with their abdomens much smaller than the carapace), people are bombarded with photos of overfed captive specimens rocking full on ghetto booty and think that's the norm.
Agree, tarantulas in the wild are usually noticeably thin

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
A small abdomen is hardly an issue or a sign of abuse, tarantulas tend to have smaller abdomens after moulting (Psalmopoeinae/Pokies regularly come out of moults with their abdomens much smaller than the carapace), people are bombarded with photos of overfed captive specimens rocking full on ghetto booty and think that's the norm.
Guys I'm really worried my T hasn't eaten in 6 hours... Is this premolt???!!!

Attachments

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Yea there's really nothing to be done about it. Petsmart has been selling people on poor husbandry of sickly/undercared for animals for eons. The best thing you can do is what everyone else has already advised, just don't buy a spider from them. It's not gonna do much but at least it isn't YOUR money being spent there.

scarletsnow

Arachnopeon
I went into petsmart today and saw a pink toe with an abdomen half the size of its carapace. It was scary to look at and when I told the worker he said “oh we got that in today” and threw a single cricket in. I think he was lying… I went in to buy a curly hair for my second tarantula and it’s abdomen was also smaller than it’s carapace. It ate 3 crickets right away when I got home (1st pic after 3) and another 2 in his new enclosure just a bit ago before I head to bed, and now it’s abdomen is a good size (2nd pic after 5). How can we get this to stop? Is there a way to petition this?
I don't know. I just adopted from Petco because the woman caring for the Ts was super knowledgeable and is a T owner herself so the like lady I got is healthy.

But there's a pink toe at PetSmart that isn't in the right enclosure. I'm going to pick her up after work because I can't bear to see her like that. I'm so new to the hobby but I figure whatever knowledge I do have is better than whatever they're doing for her.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
the thread is 3 years old keep in mind that every "rescue"done by you or another well meaning person. just means that many more ts,scorps etc will just be restocked since the store made a profit off the sale.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I don't know. I just adopted from Petco because the woman caring for the Ts was super knowledgeable and is a T owner herself so the like lady I got is healthy.

But there's a pink toe at PetSmart that isn't in the right enclosure. I'm going to pick her up after work because I can't bear to see her like that. I'm so new to the hobby but I figure whatever knowledge I do have is better than whatever they're doing for her.
Some stores have healthier stock then others my LPs not not PetSmart(out of stock or discontinued) 75% were unhealthy 🙁. Tell us in 6 months how yours are doing or make a thread to keep track of it .

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Sorry I missed the date.

You're right. It's just the softy in me that wants to fix everything.
The issue with the shop I got them from was not them killing them; but selling me sickly spiders that later died from internal issues I couldn’t see. Mostly wc . Now I still have one of 4 left . A small t albo.

gzophia

Arachnosquire
Yeah, this is an old post, but I'd like to add that I did get a tarantula from my local pet store too. In fact, she was my first tarantula.
She's a ~5" DLS female T. albopilosum; looks like she's a Nicaraguan Curly Hair. I just couldn't resist getting her; she was huge compared to the others available and had been marked down to $25 or so.

Probably a bad choice from a business point of view, but to be honest, she is doing really well-- it's been over a month since I bought her. I don't see anything abnormal-- she is docile and calm, and has been eating, webbing, and pooping fine.
I'll definitely make a post if she dies prematurely, but for now, I'm feeling okay about her. I don't plan to support these stores regularly anymore though.

scarletsnow

Arachnopeon
I ended up buying a pink toe from PetSmart. She had been there 2 months and want doing much. I'm guessing stress. She seemed afraid when I brought her home. The terrarium was filthy and dry. They dropped her price to twenty. I was crying so hard I barely managed to get her into the tank. But she's slow and timid. I really really hope she thrives. She's plump at least. I'm so new to tarantulas but I'm doing everything I can to give her a quality of life. I'm hoping I have a full size pinktoe by the end of the year. But if not I'll know she's at least living the rest of her days in a better environment. Good ventilation. Some humidity (not crazy but enough) a water dish. I still haven't picked a name. I'm afraid to get attached. But I think I will because she deserves one