petroleum jelly question

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ok i was wondering if it would be ok to use petroleum jelly to keep slings from getting out of a incubator after they start climbing, and i open the lid, and also in a true spiders tub to keep the babies from climbing up onto the lid? as long as it wouldnt hurt them, would it even work, or would they be able to climb past it unlike roaches?...thanks

SentinelPokie

Arachnopeon
Sure

Hi! Petroleum Jelly would work for the T slings, but clear packing tape would work too. About true spiders I'm not so sure. :)

lunashimmer

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So I assume that after it is completely dry, there are no more vapors coming off that will harm the Ts (or me)? Science is amazing!!! :)

Thanks Travis! I am ordering some of this right now as I have Speedy Gonzalez the 3i H. incei in my care right now! He scared the bejesus outta me when I was unpacking him!!!

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
I have never used the above product on Ts as I haven't really felt a need for it. The main use if for climbing insects like roaches and ants, but I would assume a lot of scurrying Slings would be kept contained quite nicely with this product. Once you go fluoropolymer resin, you never go back!

Projecht13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
im going to order that resin stuff but I need something right now to hold me over, clear packing tape was mentioned. Will this work for slings and flightless fruit flies?

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
I would do that before I would use petroleum, but the best thing would be a container with screening for ventilation. Just cut a hole and glue or heat weld the screen onto the container.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
that fluoropolymer resin sounds good, but the problem is my fishing spider just laid a sac, and i wouldnt be rehousing her, so im worried about the fumes.....i might just do the clear packaging tape...i have used that before....just not too positive how it will work on true spider slings....especially that she can have up to 1400 slings in one sac...

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The fishing spider won't mind being moved if she has a sack. I rehoused them, take them out for pictures when they have a sac, and no problems :)
However
baby fishing spiders let out a flare of silk that makes them float... :p so... good luck.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
im thinking about just using clear packaging tape...yeah when i took a pic of her with her sac, i couldnt even get her to move, and before she laid the sac, she was very defensive, and was all over the place...what do you mean float? like straight up inches off the ground? or like shoot silk to taller places and climb?

The fishing spider won't mind being moved if she has a sack. I rehoused them, take them out for pictures when they have a sac, and no problems :)
However
baby fishing spiders let out a flare of silk that makes them float... :p so... good luck.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You said you want to use the tape so they don't stick on the sides of the enclosure.
However, these babies have the ability to shoot silk to the lid anyways... so i dont see where the tape comes in handy.. lol
Also, any slight breeze will send those strands floating so the babies can float themselves.

Meecht

Arachnosquire
Also, any slight breeze will send those strands floating so the babies can float themselves.
I'm sure people here know the term, but I'll go ahead and say it:

Ballooning

I've always found it fascinating that the slings of some species will do this. I first read up about it sometime in elementary school (I'm 26 now).

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hmmm thats totally crazy...never heard of that....well now im kinda stuck...cause i want to keep all the babies that i can, but if i open the lid and have over a 100 babies all freaking out....thats gonna be hard to do....

You said you want to use the tape so they don't stick on the sides of the enclosure.
However, these babies have the ability to shoot silk to the lid anyways... so i dont see where the tape comes in handy.. lol