Pet Store Infiltration

BooyaTarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey everybody, good news! I came home to work for the summer and got hired on at the local pet store. Turns out the manager is totally open to hearing about proper invert care which is an area she says she doesn't know very much about (as she packed a bag of bark chips off to furnish some rosie tanks) and is stoked that I have a knowledge base so together we can work to make sure things are properly named (they had an "albino" emperor scorpion in stock a week ago...) and properly housed. So bombard me with your tips and ideas so I can work to make the establishment treat their inverts with care and respect! Also, I had a lady come in yesterday and talk to me about her T which she says is large and brown (yeah, real descriptive...) and says she will probably bring in for me to identify. She has already stated that the T is handleable (so i'm ruling out T. Blondi...) and has been agitated lately (mostly because it does not have a hide and has a daylight shining on it constantly) so I was wondering if you guys could also give me a list of common "brown" pet T's... She says she has not looked at the underside so we don't know if there is coloration there or what it is. Anyways, thanks already for your thoughts and opinions!

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
e-spiderworld.com has some excellent pictures of mature T's for reference. I have to laugh about the "brown T" description. There are probably hundreds and many probably look that way before molting and then turn into colorful beauties. I've been seeing alot of Aphonopelma hentzi's from Oklahoma hiting the market right now-and they're pretty "brown". Good luck with your new job. I hope you do better than others who hope to "educate" pet store owners. Generally, unless suggestions raise profits immediately they are nixed, leaving people such as yourself (who care about the critters) frustrated and angry. Have had several chameleon forum members in your position and it ain't pretty. Di

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hey everybody, good news! I came home to work for the summer and got hired on at the local pet store. Turns out the manager is totally open to hearing about proper invert care which is an area she says she doesn't know very much about (as she packed a bag of bark chips off to furnish some rosie tanks) and is stoked that I have a knowledge base so together we can work to make sure things are properly named (they had an "albino" emperor scorpion in stock a week ago...) and properly housed. So bombard me with your tips and ideas so I can work to make the establishment treat their inverts with care and respect! Also, I had a lady come in yesterday and talk to me about her T which she says is large and brown (yeah, real descriptive...) and says she will probably bring in for me to identify. She has already stated that the T is handleable (so i'm ruling out T. Blondi...) and has been agitated lately (mostly because it does not have a hide and has a daylight shining on it constantly) so I was wondering if you guys could also give me a list of common "brown" pet T's... She says she has not looked at the underside so we don't know if there is coloration there or what it is. Anyways, thanks already for your thoughts and opinions!
Tell them albino emps are going to die soon and will cause thier parrots to loose thier feathers , and that i will take them in to make the rest of thier lives comfortable :p
JK

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Congrats on the job! I wanna work at a petstore, or atleast in the pet industry.

Anyways, before listing any species; just get a picture of the T(when she brings it in) for us to have a better visual in are heads on what kind of T it is, then hopefully we can ID it for you and you can tell her what she has.