Peso updates

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey all,
For anyone who has been tracking news about Peso since I got him (at least gail will read), or for those who have been answering my questions since i stumbled onto this forum, here are some Peso updates of interest:
Number 1. Peso doesn't like car rides. I'm at my girlfriend's place for the long weekend (remember that this is thanksgiving for us canadian folk), and i decided to take peso with me. he/she freaked out and scurried around the whole trip. What was good about it? I finally saw him/her burrow! Remember that Peso's a big wall hugger, so seeing him burrow was exciting. I felt bad for scaring him so badly, so i bought him a cricket to make up for it. this brings me to....
Number 2. He had his first live meal yesterday. It was so funny; i threw in the cricket, and it ran away (peso didn't even move), then it turned around and ran up to him, as if to say hi. So he's well fed.
Okay, Number 3. This is the most exciting part: Peso doesn't try to escape when i take off his lid. before he used to try and scurry away if i so much as wanted to mis him. now i can take off the top and look at him, and he doesn't move at all. it's vry exciting, it's almost as if he's getting used to me. also, that means a lot more pics :D
anyway, that should do it. only the really dedicated people will write back because this post was way too long. sorry!
Paul

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Hey Paul,

Glad you're enjoying your T so much Paul. Don't worry about your post length. That wasn't long by any means. :)

Scott

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Rookie,

I enjoy following the progress of Peso:)

Yea, I don't think T's like car rides. I think, because its so bumpie. They probably think they are being hunted by something really big, IMO. When I'm driving my new T's home I try to hold them in my hand, in the deli cup, so its not so rough.

Thats cool it has decided to eat, its always a relief when they eat that first meal. :D

Your pal,

Ernie

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hi

that sure is cool, my pinktoe is just like peso, he lets me stick my hands in and he wont try and
escape, if you can post a pic of peso, and the post was not long at all, bye
James=D

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I always bring tarantulas on trips with me. I live far away from my parents and they are the only family that I bother travelling to visit so at Xmas time when I go see them i always bring a spider along on the greyhound with me. Half the time I even come back with a new spider. Last year I brought on of my many pinktoes and they loved her. I just put them in a container and then put them in my backpack tightly.

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
airline problems

Jacen,
I'm curious about what i'll do for xmas this year. my plane ride is short (1 hour) but it's still a plane ride. i wanted to stick peso in my carry on, but i assume x-ray machines aren't good for spiders.
so, i think i'll stick him in my pocket since he's not made of metal, but what will i herd him into? i won't know until dec. i guess because i won't know how large he'll be.
anyone ever try to smuggle a T onto a plane before?
Paul

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Rookie
Hey all,
I finally saw him/her burrow! Remember that Peso's a big wall hugger, so seeing him burrow was exciting. I felt bad for scaring him so badly, so i bought him a cricket to make up for it.
I think we may be onto something. Mine moved dirt around but only started to burrow the night after it got loose and I scared the hell out of it getting it rounded up. The next morning it was in a shallow nitch it dug for itself, and that kept getting deeper and deeper each day.

It's almost as if the spider said to itself, "You know, it's not as safe here as I thought - I need to dig a burrow to get away from this danger." If it is true that early trauma triggers burrowing behavior, then that may account for why some T's of the same species burrow more than others.

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Hey, that cricket was his thanksgiving meal cricket :D Glad to hear he is taking food more readily now.
I'm with Mr.T about the car trips, I always try to hold the deli cup that any new T's are in because they really seem to hate the bumpiness of the ride.
Hey, just remember, if you put Peso in your pocket for a plane trip make SURE he's in an all plastic container - the lid on your baby food jar will set off the alarm. It would be interesting to see the looks on their faces when you pulled out a spider in a jar LOL but as crazy as they are getting about security we could end up reading about you in the papers:
"Suspected terrorist tries to smuggle venomous black widow spider onto plane. We suspect that his plan was to let it loose under the cabin door in the hopes that it would bite the pilots, causing the plane to crash."
LOL - you know how reporters are - they can make anything into a news story!

Gail

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Re: airline problems

Originally posted by Rookie
anyone ever try to smuggle a T onto a plane before?
Paul
yep, for the ATS convention, I brought an H lividum sling on the plane.
I put him in a glad container (the smallest one) and put that in my carry on backpack. No problems. On the return, I brought a desert millie on the plane the same way. Don't know what they would have done if they had searched my stuff though.