Perlatus and Rosea

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's disturbing that there are so few people here who show any interest in raising colonies of hermit crabs. I love my T's and all my other pets but my hermies come first. Why? Unlike most invertebrates, hermit crabs truly have personalities .... they recognize the owners if they're handled enough, they crave new foods and start rejecting any food that is offered for more then a week or two, and most species (such as the Strawberry hermit crab, or a Ruggie). I want more people to discover the beauty of hermit crabs because they are incredible pets that don't sit around a tank like a "pet rock." However, these are by no means easy pets. A healthy crab can live up to 70 years (rarely) but usually live between 20 and 30 years. They need a steady 78-80 degree temp and a 75-80% constant humidity. Also, fresh water and salt water bowls are a must and if you own a Strawberry (Perlatus) then they need a salt water bowl large enough to submerge themselves in during their pre-molt routine. Again, i love them and i want all of you too, but they are DIFFICULT pets! I promise you, you will never be more stressed out then during your crabs first molt. I have been lucky with this because i have had 3 hermies molt within their first 2 months and 2 out of 3 lived through it--- hermit crabs are extremely susceptable to PPS (post purchase stress) and if they molt within the 1st two months they have only an 80% chance of survival which is why i recomend larger specimens over the small.... its less of a gamble. How can anyone say no to this face?...... and oh yeah, here's my rosea too.... i love her!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Can't i be proud of my other pets too? Is that illegal since you appear to be the law around here
he wasnt making up "laws" for you...this is in fact the "tarantula" forum, for tarantula discussion and questions.... not exactly for hermit crabs.....but there is an "insects and other invertabrates" forum that would fit in perfectly :)

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
No need to get angry at MS, but if you join a tarantula forum you should expect the people on it to be mainly concerend with Tarantulas, not hermit crabs. Also this thread should be in the other invertabrates section.

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Also, what are you using for substrate? it looks like sand to me:confused:

Jennifer4783

Arachnopeon
The substrate looks an awful lot like crushed walnut shell...it's not very good for Ts or reptiles for that matter.