Periplaneta americana? Albuquerque, NM

Stugy

Arachnolord
these guys are very common near at the house I'm staying at. I'm pretty certain they are Periplaneta Americana but the adults I've seen seem too small and the nymph in the picture can't climb out of the container. Just want to make sure lol IMG_0881.JPG

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
How large are the adults?

It looks a little like B. lateralis but the markings seem off. Can it climb smooth surfaces?

Stugy

Arachnolord
How large are the adults?

It looks a little like B. lateralis but the markings seem off. Can it climb smooth surfaces?
All of the ones I've seen including the adults didn't even try climbing. The nymph in the picture is the only one I've managed to catch and it is about 2-3cm. It is unable to climb smooth surfaces. The adults look to be about 4-5cm but the only ones I know that were adults had wings (which is counted in length.) I was also suspecting B.lateralis but I'm not sure if their range extends to New Mexico.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Looks like a turkistan roach

Theyre generally bicolored as nymphs, P americana aren't, also, americana has a larger more robust and round appearance

Nanchantress

ArachnoFriend
Old Timer
I live just north of Albuquerque and they are Blatta lateralis. They come out on my patio during the summer evenings. I've thought about collecting some and starting a colony to feed my Ts, but even though I'm a fan of (and have kept) many species of exotic roaches, they're just too roachy for me. People pay money for them though (roachforum.com), cracks me up.

Stugy

Arachnolord
I live just north of Albuquerque and they are Blatta lateralis. They come out on my patio during the summer evenings. I've thought about collecting some and starting a colony to feed my Ts, but even though I'm a fan of (and have kept) many species of exotic roaches, they're just too roachy for me. People pay money for them though (roachforum.com), cracks me up.
Cool. I was hoping to collect a few Lats before I left but none showed up the last night I was in ABQ... I'm gonna have to buy them :bigtears:

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
Not everyone lives someplace with wild lats running around. Most people can't just find roaches that breed quickly and don't climb smooth surfaces, so they pay money for lats.

Nanchantress

ArachnoFriend
Old Timer
Not everyone lives someplace with wild lats running around. Most people can't just find roaches that breed quickly and don't climb smooth surfaces, so they pay money for lats.
True, and you are welcome to laugh at things I spent money on, such as when I bought oak leaves from an online seller for my roaches because I live in a desert without an oak tree in sight. Since you're from Massachusetts you may now have a good laugh at that, and it's ok. I laughed at myself for it and my friends laughed at me too. I found it hilarious :)