Pepper Growers?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Out of curiosity, has anyone started peppers indoors? I'm planning to start some habaneros, scotch bonnet, aji lemon drop and maybe a few others for my parents garden in mid-Jan./early Feb. Was planning on just using a heat mat until they germinate and then after transfer them to a soil-less seed medium and then putting them under a fluorescent light. Think that would work?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Out of curiosity, has anyone started peppers indoors? I'm planning to start some habaneros, scotch bonnet, aji lemon drop and maybe a few others for my parents garden in mid-Jan./early Feb. Was planning on just using a heat mat until they germinate and then after transfer them to a soil-less seed medium and then putting them under a fluorescent light. Think that would work?
I don't know much about soil-less medium, but I've seen people do it before, so I think your setup would be good.

BenWilly

Tarantula Hillbilly
I started my ghost peppers this year (back in Feb) using a reptile heat pad and damp paper towels in gallon ziplocs , worked out good. Dried some of the peppers for seed and doing it again next year. But I transplanted them into a soil mix and then planted them outdoors

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I started my ghost peppers this year (back in Feb) using a reptile heat pad and damp paper towels in gallon ziplocs , worked out good. Dried some of the peppers for seed and doing it again next year. But I transplanted them into a soil mix and then planted them outdoors
That's what I did in previous years, but just wanted to start earlier. Looks like I'm just going to buy some well started plants when spring comes.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
BBD8E29D-951C-4952-A2E7-7B43B11C1E53.jpeg 37A72B76-3033-4D52-BD0F-2C12B7B7D66E.jpeg 4573FE8B-054D-4F19-B669-A4765A147CA1.jpeg I’ve been hybridizing peppers for years. My first crosses were the variegated; ornamental hot peppers. From those offspring I then crossed with a sweet bell pepper, the result is a hot pepper that tastes like it’s dipped in sugar.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Had a frustrating season last year, a plant I won at a silent auction was infested with aphids that I didn't notice so I spent a large chunk of the year fighting those, then when I was away on my honeymoon a spider mite infestation took off, wrecking the rest of my plants. Only got like one or two peppers from all those plants...bummed since I really wanted to try the sugar rush peach. A local grocery store was doing a sale on super hots late in the season though, so I paid $10 and got 6 plants that already had peppers, so at least I could finish out the season with something. They came with aphids too though, so once all the peppers were done ripening that was pretty much it for the plants.

Probably won't try again this year, I'm far enough in and I haven't started seeds, plus getting enough light isn't possible without a grow light (which I may purchase and just keep them inside this year). Talking with my botanist coworker I didn't realize how much of a pest deterrent the sun was, so that was an interesting piece of info. If I want to put them outside I'll start the seeds in like August and then by the time it cools off enough for the pollen to remain viable I can put them outside to grow.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Had a frustrating season last year, a plant I won at a silent auction was infested with aphids that I didn't notice so I spent a large chunk of the year fighting those, then when I was away on my honeymoon a spider mite infestation took off, wrecking the rest of my plants. Only got like one or two peppers from all those plants...bummed since I really wanted to try the sugar rush peach. A local grocery store was doing a sale on super hots late in the season though, so I paid $10 and got 6 plants that already had peppers, so at least I could finish out the season with something. They came with aphids too though, so once all the peppers were done ripening that was pretty much it for the plants.

Probably won't try again this year, I'm far enough in and I haven't started seeds, plus getting enough light isn't possible without a grow light (which I may purchase and just keep them inside this year). Talking with my botanist coworker I didn't realize how much of a pest deterrent the sun was, so that was an interesting piece of info. If I want to put them outside I'll start the seeds in like August and then by the time it cools off enough for the pollen to remain viable I can put them outside to grow.
If you ever need help with pests or growing, I have a degree in horticulture, and have grown a lot of peppers hydroponically in my house, but usually Bhut jolokia and capsicum chinense. And for your aphid problem, neem oil, and insecticidal soaps work well at controlling them. And for spider mites you might want to catch one and ID it and then get a miticide that is on label for that particular species of spider mites.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If you ever need help with pests or growing, I have a degree in horticulture, and have grown a lot of peppers hydroponically in my house, but usually Bhut jolokia and capsicum chinense. And for your aphid problem, neem oil, and insecticidal soaps work well at controlling them. And for spider mites you might want to catch one and ID it and then get a miticide that is on label for that particular species of spider mites.
I'm curious of the hydroponic method and have reading more about that, so it may be good to try in the future.

I used a combo of neem and insecticidal soaps to try to control them, but they just kept bouncing back on some plants. I will say though it worked well as a control, but by the time I started using the neem it may have been too late for the plants anyway. And who knows if I had more fully winged individuals flying in from time to time to keep populations going.

It was some sort of tetranychid, but of all the ones I slide mounted I never got a male, so I couldn't easily ID past genus (Tetranychus). The neem seemed to do a decent job knocking them back, but I think by the time I got back and saw what was happening it was too late and they were everywhere.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I'm curious of the hydroponic method and have reading more about that, so it may be good to try in the future.

I used a combo of neem and insecticidal soaps to try to control them, but they just kept bouncing back on some plants. I will say though it worked well as a control, but by the time I started using the neem it may have been too late for the plants anyway. And who knows if I had more fully winged individuals flying in from time to time to keep populations going.

It was some sort of tetranychid, but of all the ones I slide mounted I never got a male, so I couldn't easily ID past genus (Tetranychus). The neem seemed to do a decent job knocking them back, but I think by the time I got back and saw what was happening it was too late and they were everywhere.
Its very easy, you can do it with a tub of water mixed with fertilizer, and aerator, and a grow light. and then you can grow in the winter months.

What I would do for both mites and aphids is first spray with cold water to knock them all off, then spray, and then repeat 1 week and 2 weeks later. And if youy get a particularly bad mite problem get a specific miticide, it will work much better, than neem.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
When I get home I’ll look at what miticide I have and let you know. It works really well

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Very cool, thanks for the info. If I try them again outdoors this year I'll keep that in mind.

Indoor would be harder because of space issues, but I think I might still try to make it work.