peat moss and vermiculite

dilleo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey everybody, I just bought some peat moss and vermiculite and mixed it for my new substrate for my t's. It's a lot cheaper and faster to make than those coconut bricks you have to wait for to soak up all that water and expand. I find that this mix doesn't hold it's shape very well though. Some t's don't like it and some t's can't get their burrows to not collapse all the time. Anybody have the right mixture of any method to get this stuff to hold good? Right now mines about half and half, but I'd say more peat moss for sure, you can tell there's not half vermiculite. I hope nobody uses that much vermiculite.

-Jeremy

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
that is all I am using for my Ts...my mixture is at LEAST 75-90% peat though...depending on what kind of T.
The only ones that get straight verm are the arboreals.
It's working well so far, no burrow collapses

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why just the straight verm for arboreals? Is it cheaper? Hold moisture better?

Botar

Exodus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Probably cause the Arboreals dont touch the ground much anyway,so why bother making special substrate?Also maybe a-cause Holley is really lazy
;P

Ben

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
well, I just replied, and my connection kicked...
for a summary:
verm looks good, easy to find cricket parts, holds moisture, and since arboreals are not hanging about on the ground, they don't have to walk on it, or try to burrow in it
And, yes, I am probably lazy as well ;)