Parthenogenesis in Theraphosidae Spiders: An Inquiry

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Personally i don't doubt that these are real cases of parthenogenesis, the question to me is if it resulted from a normal spider, or if perhaps there was some kind of chromosomal duplication or some other genetic abberation involved. If its just a normal spider then perhaps we would have to contemplate if arachnids or Theraphosidae in general may have the capacity to do this and if so how does this work and what causes it. Perhaps if we look for it we will find similar cases in many types of arachnids. Does it fall into the known types of parthenogenesis or is it a new type.

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Cheers. I was more curious if any of the babies have been sexed? Are there individuals being kept solitary to see if they too will self reproduce? Very interested in this :)

As an aside, there are some cases of spiders producing without mating. And some possibilities.

Fascinating stuff!

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Cheers. I was more curious if any of the babies have been sexed? Are there individuals being kept solitary to see if they too will self reproduce? Very interested in this :)

As an aside, there are some cases of spiders producing without mating. And some possibilities.

Fascinating stuff!
yes, not methodically but both cases had an aproximately normal male:female spread, at least when sexing the exuviae

i have no plans on ever pairing mine, and don't expect the phenomenon to reoccur, but who knows

Last edited: