Paraphysa anyone?

TigerWoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Does anyone have any information of this sp? Arboreal or terestrial? defensive/ agressive? keep it drie or moist? Think i'v found one in a petso, (Dont know what Paraphysa jet) but i cant find to many picktures on the net to compare with.

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Paraphysa are like little dward Grammastola's. Native to S.A (chile, etc) grow to about 4"-5". Should be kept dry with a water dish.generally non aggressive.
Terrestrial, may make a burrow.

-V

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hiya,
I absolutely love mine. Very, very sweet. I first bought a sling, and then became so enamoured of it, that I bought an adult female. They can be shy when eating, so a hiding spot is crucial.

Peace,
Gillian

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by TigerWoman
Does anyone have any information of this sp? Arboreal or terestrial? defensive/ agressive? keep it drie or moist? Think i'v found one in a petso, (Dont know what Paraphysa jet) but i cant find to many picktures on the net to compare with.
They are terrestrials, not at all prone to bite IME but they can be a little skittish. Their humidity needs can be met with a water dish alone. They're a dwarf species, quite attractive, and similar in coloration to G. rosea. In fact, the one in the picture was actually being sold by a local petshop as a Chilean rose.

Joy

Last edited:

Joy

Old Timer
Re: hey

Originally posted by Tarantula Lover
hey Joy, what is that patch on the abdomen? Great Pic!!

James
It's known as a reflecting patch and is a distinctive characteristic of this (and various other) tarantula species.

Joy

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Re: Paraphysa anyone?

Originally posted by Joy
not at all prone to bite IME but they can be a little skittish.

Joy
Joy,

I don't mean to offend you, but coming from you, this means absolutely NOTHING to me. I've seen pictures of you holding T's that most people handle with barbeque tongs and a welder's mask.

Botar

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I classify spiders in several categories across the range of 'handleability' (for me):

1). Docile: Quite handleable, rarely -if ever- jumps, bolts or makes to bite. Examples: Whitecollared, Curly Hair, many Brachypelma and several of the North American Aphonopelma species are extremely docile.

2). Mostly docile: Will occasionally get jumpy or flick hairs but almost never bites or threatens. Most Avicularia, Chilean Rose, Zebra and most Brachypelma (redleg, etc.).

3). Skittish/Jumpy: A spider that isn't aggressive or defensive per se, but will jump, run or flick hairs at any sign of trouble. Not likely to bite, but could. Some Avicularia are in this group, as well as the less docile Aphonopelma, Grammostola and others. I actually find some Tapinauchenius species like plumipes and purpureus to be jumpy but not aggro like other non-Avic arboreals. C. cyaneopubescens is also what I'd consider skittish.

4). Very Skittish: Still may not necessarily be a biter, but quite prone to jumping and/or flicking. Several members of Psalmopoeus, Tapinauchenius (like gigas) and a few Avicularia are like this, as are some terrestrials.

5). Aggressive/Defensive: Can bite if provoked or mishandled. May also flick hairs (if capable) or jump/run. I know some more advanced arachno-hobbyists shy away from using the term 'aggressive' but I use it with the understanding that we're discussing a live-preserving reaction to a situation the spider finds stressful (exposure to humans)... Not that these spiders will seek out people or other animals to attack as the word 'aggressive' in a more general sense might imply. Anyway, examples: T. blondi, P. cambridgei, most species of Poecilotheria, several species of Pterinochilus, Pamphobeteus, Xenesthis, Ephebopus, etc.

6). Highly Aggressive/Defensive: Will lunge at almost any intrusion or potential exposure to human or other animal. High probability of biting if handled (except by experienced handlers). Will readily jump, run, flick hairs or even leap at appendages or probes/tongs, etc. Many species of Haplopelma, Harpactira, Pterinochilus, Heteroscodra and Stromatopelma fit this description. Some Haplos have been known to zip up long forceps to bite the hand that feeds or cleans them. Heteroscodra and Stromatopelma spp. are well known for flying out of their retreats to bite tree-climbing collectors. Again, these creatures don't necessarily seek out trouble, but their reaction to being disturbed is far more extreme than the spiders described above.

Joy

Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: Paraphysa anyone?

Originally posted by Botar
Joy,

I don't mean to offend you, but coming from you, this means absolutely NOTHING to me. I've seen pictures of you holding T's that most people handle with barbeque tongs and a welder's mask.

Botar
=D OK, that's a photo opportunity I simply cannot pass up!

But in regard to P. scrofa being docile, I think you can trust me on this one. That's their general reputation, not just my personal experience.

Joy

Last edited:

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Too funny!

LOL
...but Joy, what are the hotdog tongs for?

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow Joy... if I'd known you were going to respond like that, it would have read, "welders mask and a THONG ".

I'll be anxiously waiting for your next reply.

Botar

Lost_Tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow Joy... if I'd known you were going to respond like that, it would have read, "welders mask and a THONG ".

Botar
=D =D =D =D

Joy

Old Timer

Botar
=D Sorry, but I have my future political career to think of!

Joy

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: Re: Paraphysa anyone?

Originally posted by Joy
=D OK, that's a photo opportunity I simply cannot pass up!

But in regard to P. scrofa being docile, I think you can trust me on this one. That's their general reputation, not just my personal experience.

Joy

*LMAO*!! =D =D

Joy,
Your scrofa has a much different color than mine. (Of course, a pic would help) Mine is a overall rosy pink.

Peace,
Gillian

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Joy, I think I can speak for us all when I am saying this...but you never cease to amaze me! lol! I think that was the funniest thing since someone drew a plan to capture Wade and posted it here...LOL.

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: Re: Paraphysa anyone?

Originally posted by Joy
OK, that's a photo opportunity I simply cannot pass up!
LMAO. So funny!