parahybana vs. aureostriatum

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How much difference is there in the size of adult Lasiadora parahybana and Grammostola aureostriatum?

Last edited:

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I believe parahybana full grown size is up to 10" where as aureostriatum is around 8".
I have a large aureostiatum that is wonderful. She is handleable whereas I don't believe a parahybana is.

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Aureostriata get to around the 9 inch mark where Parahybana get to 10 or so.

The real difference is the temperament... Chacos are pretty placid for the most part.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
all 3 of my parahybanas are very easy to handle, just a bit more nervous and apt to kick hair...their hair is also very irritating.
I have a Chaco that is nuttier than a fruitcake, probably because he's a male. I'd rather handle the paras anyday!
I think the paras do get a bit larger

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Parahybanas are the bigger of the two, about 9"-10" compared to 7"-8" for a Chaco. The biggest difference is in temperament, for the most part parahybana's are a more aggressive and less handleable species. But temperament differs with each individual spider.

Andy

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by monantony
Has anyone got a 9" chaco?
Seriously I want to see one on a ruler, no offense Chris. Over time people seem to add a little to soemone else's 'biggest I've seen' # and eventually they all get huge. I had a WC chaco that was in fact huge, and by my best guess 7" would have been lucky. It had an abdominal injury of some sort , but it did eat well for a while and eventually died what I can only describe as detiorating natural causes, old age.
Tony (moving to the show-me state ) ;-)

My suggestion is to take a sheet of paper and scribe concentric circles on it in one inch increments, so you can usher your spider onto it and get a good idea, taking into account the legs are in a folded position. Lots of times I will give a measurement of the T in its natural pose...
At the rate mine is growing... I wouldn't be surprised if she hits 9 inches.

I think a lot of the size things is that people never seem to measure their spiders the same. I have always gone by the diagonal measurement.