Parahybana feeding habits after and before molt?

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine I got as I said like 6 weeks ago. She was then apparantly in pre-molt, because she would not eat. 9 days ago she molted, and she still won't eat. I've got 2 stupid burrowing cockroaches in there now, buried in all that peat. She might be..hmm..7 or 8 inches now.
I guess this is normal? Sooner or later the famous appetite will strike? She can't just be too insensitive to sense a frantically struggling upside-down turned roach 4 inches from her.

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
wish i had some insight...

my parahybana went on a hunger strike for a very long time but that was premolt. Have you tried something besides the roaches? The reason I ask is, if I put a mealworm in with mine, it wont eat it. Actually tries to get away from it. But it will snatch up a cricket like it never had a chance. Also, I tried waxworms and after it had one, it wouldnt eat them again whenever I tried, until recently...I dropped one in and it grabbed it up. I consider mine like my cat...food it likes one day doesnt necessarily mean it will like it the next.
Good luck.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmmm, no actually I haven't. I guess I just assumed a parahybana would eat my 33 roaches I've watched grow :p

I will try crickets, but she is so scared of everything it seems, Potato, now after the molt.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
K, now she sits with palps and two front legs curled under her, the rest against glass or in normal positioning.
:confused: :confused: :confused:
Is this a pose they can sometimes strike, or is she dying on me here?

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
im not sure..but ..

My goofy one always seems to have half or at least part of itself against the glass...and sometimes with four of the eight legs on one side up on the glass and the rest of itself on the ground so it may be normal...
keep us posted.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, now she's struck another weird pose..she seems to spend 96% of her time in weird positions(like not keeping her body above the ground, legs at what seems like crazy angles etc) on the webbish carpet she made to molt on.

Gonna buy some cricks today then..only good thing about the little suckers is that they won't dig so much. Unlike these roaches. What am I going to do about the roaches? Ah,l I'll let them be for the moment.
*mutters silently about peoples reports concerning parahybanas will to dig out their food*

EDIT: and this thing about spids constantly doubling in size when they moult, hah. I don't see much of a difference at all, but I'll be able to tell better once she gets some behind(if ever? :rolleyes: ) and starts climbing the glass

Last edited: