Parabuthus Venom Spraying

davidbarber1

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
if you want it in book form spraying is written about in Scorpions of Southern Africa By Jonathan Leeming and was also published in Science in Africa - Africa's First On-Line Science Magazine same author. Research on Venom Expenditure by Scorpions, Loma Linda University, School of Science and Technology, Department of Earth and Biological Sciences, William K. Hayes, Laboratory of behavioral ecology and conservation is another article. Published in
1993 in The Journal of Arachnology 21 (Pp. 60-63), STING USE IN TWO SPECIES OF PARABUTHUS SCORPIONS (BUTHIDAE). Cushing, B. S. & A. Matherne. 1980. Stinger utilization and predation in the scorpion Paruroctonus boreus. Great Basin
Nat., 40:193-195. Dave Gaban and Major Stockwell have also written on the subject.
Rev
Rev, I have Leemings book and I participated in another thread that touched on venom spraying. That' why I started this thread.

GUYS, ALL YOUR REPLIES ARE GREAT. THE PICS ARE OUTSTANDING!!! THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS HOPING TO GET. I am sure there are others who appreciate this info as much as I do. Thanks again.

David

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
This is cruel but here's 2 videos (I'm sure everyone has seen these):

-

-

It certainly documents a very uncommon fascinating and important defense mechanism, but yes the methodology is questionable only because I hate to see a scorpion stressed unnecessarily even under a controlled demonstration such as this. These scorpions weren't harmed nonetheless.

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
It certainly documents a very uncommon fascinating and important defense mechanism, but yes the methodology is questionable only because I hate to see a scorpion stressed unnecessarily even under a controlled demonstration such as this. These scorpions weren't harmed nonetheless.
I hope not, especially the first video where the guy uses forceps :mad:

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
That first video where they grabbed it by the tail with the forceps... Had that been a predator it would've got the full load of sprayed venom in its face.