Parabuthus schlecteri question

Stugy

Arachnolord
I have a 4i Parabuthus schlecteri and I would like to know what instar can I sex it? It hadn't eaten once in my care. How large do they normally get? That's all I really need to know atm.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
If you can get a pic of the pectines, then we may be able to sex it. Not very well versed in scorp sexing though, so it may be too young. Should get about 4-5" (?). Pics would help to sex :)

Stugy

Arachnolord
If you can get a pic of the pectines, then we may be able to sex it. Not very well versed in scorp sexing though, so it may be too young. Should get about 4-5" (?). Pics would help to sex :)
I will in a few hours :)

ButhidaeBomb

Cant Re-Member
Old Timer
i just sexed my p schlech's last week. they are pretty easy to sex really....specially at 4i. they have whats called basal middle lamella. do some research to understand what you are looking at but once you see it, youll know for sure.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Other members are correct! You just gotta look for the bulbous pectine. Only females have it, and you can see it as early as 2i, although when I tend to sex my specimen, I wait until they molt.

ButhidaeBomb

Cant Re-Member
Old Timer
I recommend a usb endoscope if you do this on a fairly regular basis...specially with little 2i scorps. I bought mine from amazon and it works really well!! just a thought.

Last edited:

Stugy

Arachnolord
Welp it was impossible to get anything but a blurry shot of my Parabuthus but I from what I saw, I suspect it is a female :/ I've had it for like a month or two and it still refuses to eat. Is that normal? It is still quite fat so maybe just not hungry at all. nay 004.jpg Here it is inside an iPod Shuffle case. :p You can see it's venom at it's stinger also.
Note: The iPod Shuffle case is not it's home. I have a way nicer enclosure for it.

ButhidaeBomb

Cant Re-Member
Old Timer
sure does look plump! might be getting ready to molt soon and that could also explain the lack of eating. I wouldn't be too worried this early in. assuming nothing is wrong...scorps will eat when they are ready.

ps...if I'm not mistaken, this species might possess the ability to squirt venom like a few other parabuthus. just be aware of that.

Stugy

Arachnolord
sure does look plump! might be getting ready to molt soon and that could also explain the lack of eating. I wouldn't be too worried this early in. assuming nothing is wrong...scorps will eat when they are ready.

ps...if I'm not mistaken, this species might possess the ability to squirt venom like a few other parabuthus. just be aware of that.
Yeah it's already had somwhat of a spray at me already :] After the picture was taken, the clean plastic had a drop of venom on it so I assume it tried to spray me :)

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
She had a good meal before I sent her to you, so that's probably part of the reason she hasn't eaten since. Been a while since the last molt too, so she's probably due. She's a feisty one, so not surprised she might have tried to spray you.

Stugy

Arachnolord
She had a good meal before I sent her to you, so that's probably part of the reason she hasn't eaten since. Been a while since the last molt too, so she's probably due. She's a feisty one, so not surprised she might have tried to spray you.
Yeah. A feisty one. Hope she molts :p