Pandinus imperator question

ChainsawMonkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well, my scorp, Roxy is about 3 - 3.5 inches in length. How many more molts before the average size?

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Post a pic and we may be able to tell if is an adult or not. The exact number of molts left is not able to be discerned. If you know how many molts it has gone through then it will molt a total of 6 time for a male and 7 times for a female, to reach adulthood and then cease molting...

ChainsawMonkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, there's a problem with that. I don't have a *working* digital camera at the moment. But I have another question. Do Emps need a water dish or is it just an unnecessary hazard? Because I've heard they get all the water they need from their prey.

tallguy

Arachnopeon
They do need a water dish. If you are worried about a hazard just make sure it is shallow, also put a rock in it so that prey do not fall in and drown. Crickets are notorious for this.

ChainsawMonkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks. That's all I needed to know.
E: I do suppose my previous question on asking for exact numer of molts was a bit much. You really can't expect anything when you're dealing with one of God's creatures.

R.W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If an emp. loses its stinger, will it grow back as the scorpion molts?:?

ChainsawMonkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think that's the case for any scorp. That telson is a vital peice of hardware and without it, I do believe so species would go hungry. But through observation, I do believe that any Pandinus sp. can go without a telson and live. However, if yours did lose a telson, I wouldn't recommend any amazingly huge prey like pinkies, anoles or the like. A hissing cockroach would be ok, because if my memory serves me, their only defenses are burrowing and hissing. But I'm pretty sure the scorp would regenerate the telson next molt so I do believe that you're ok.

xsmacks

Arachnopeon
If an emp. loses its stinger, will it grow back as the scorpion molts?:?
No, it could possiblyl die, because at the end of the telson is the anus of the scorpion. Without that it will not be able to put its mess away.

Rosenkreuz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No, it could possiblyl die, because at the end of the telson is the anus of the scorpion. Without that it will not be able to put its mess away.
Actually, a scorpion's anus is located between the telson and the last metasomal segment. So even if the telson is missing, it's very likely the anus is still untouched.

xsmacks

Arachnopeon
Actually, a scorpion's anus is located between the telson and the last metasomal segment. So even if the telson is missing, it's very likely the anus is still untouched.
Thx Rosenkreuz, thats what i mean. When the telson is cut away, the the last metasomal segment is often damaged too. Sorry, i couldnt describe it in english.
It also depends on the age of the scopion. If it is a juvenile it will molt and possibly can rebuild the damage, if its adult it will not molt anymore.

R.W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Only the actual point of the stinger was lost, not quite sure hbow it happened though.:? :? :?

Rosenkreuz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Only the actual point of the stinger was lost, not quite sure hbow it happened though.:? :? :?
If the tip is the only thing missing, I wouldn't worry. It's likely it'll regrow it during a molt.