Pandinus dictator or. imperator ?

ljballi

Arachnopeon
I recently obtained this scorp. and I’m having doubts on it’s identification. 766DF76F-8B26-4692-9531-91243CDBD4C2.jpeg 9AFE8020-F1BE-4EE4-B1E9-28B147F8CB25.jpeg

Last edited:

Diao

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thank you!
You're welcome, it's a very good looking female too, congrats! These used to be rarer than hens teeth but have been popping up in the last few years. Where did you get it, if you don't mind me asking?

ljballi

Arachnopeon
You're welcome, it's a very good looking female too, congrats! These used to be rarer than hens teeth but have been popping up in the last few years. Where did you get it, if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks! I think she’s gorgeous! I named her Lilith (lilîtu) meaning “belonging to the night”. I figured it was a pretty fitting name 😄

I bought her from a local herp keeper, who was getting rid of some animals. They were also unsure on the species, they told me they thought it was either p. dictator or imperator, hence my doubts.

I only spent $30 on her, so I think that’s quite a bargain. 🙂

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
We had both viatoris and imperator at the show this weekend. It was super useful in being able to teach people the difference.

ljballi

Arachnopeon
We had both viatoris and imperator at the show this weekend. It was super useful in being able to teach people the difference.
That’s really neat! I’ve found scorpions difficult to identify at times. I’m trying to learn!

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
That’s really neat! I’ve found scorpions difficult to identify at times. I’m trying to learn!
The stingers and claws on the viatoris have a reddish hue while the imperator's is more tan/brown. Also the granulation on the claws is more even on the imperator and on the viatoris, where the 'thumb claw' is get a bit less grainy. It's pretty subtle but when you have them side by side,
it is an "Okay, now I see it" moment

ljballi

Arachnopeon
The stingers and claws on the viatoris have a reddish hue while the imperator's is more tan/brown. Also the granulation on the claws is more even on the imperator and on the viatoris, where the 'thumb claw' is get a bit less grainy. It's pretty subtle but when you have them side by side,
it is an "Okay, now I see it" moment
Very interesting! I do definitely see what you’re talking about, thank you for the pointers!