Pamphobeteus sp. “Santo Domingo Goliath” care

Dylan Campbell

Arachnosquire
I’ll be picking up my first Goliath tomorrow and I’m having trouble finding a care sheet. I’ve read on here that they prefer damp and a few inches of substrate so that’s pretty straight forward my concern mainly is what exactly do these look like specifically? I’ve seen a few pictures of adults and some are purple and some are all black. I don’t have the second part of the scientific name so I’m at a loss on what I need to be looking for, for my T

Dylan Campbell

Arachnosquire
You're unlikely to find a "full name", it's an undescribed species.
Ah I see. I’m having trouble using and understanding scientific names because I recently just started. (I’ve had a few Ts before just hardly ever referred to their scientific names) but I know I’ll learn as I go it’s just a little confusing for me right now

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Ah I see. I’m having trouble using and understanding scientific names because I recently just started. (I’ve had a few Ts before just hardly ever referred to their scientific names) but I know I’ll learn as I go it’s just a little confusing for me right now
You'll get the hang of it, I'm sure.

cold blood

Staff member
I’m having trouble finding a care sheet
Good...care sheets are garbage, don't read them, they are a very poor source of information.

Care is the same for all Pamphs.

Generally speaking, care is generally the same throughout just about any genus.

I’ve read on here that they prefer damp
Yes, they prefer damp sub, but they tend to be fairly drought tolerant, so its no biggie if it dries out every now and then.
and a few inches of substrate
How deep the sub will need to be will depend mostly on your enclosure...if you choose a deep enclosure, it will need more substrate...the idea is to reduce the space from the sub to the top of the enclosure to reduce the fall risk.
my concern mainly is what exactly do these look like specifically? I’ve seen a few pictures of adults and some are purple and some are all black.
This is easy. The purple ones, those are mature males, they only look like this once they have matured. Like most Pamphs, females (and immature males) tend to be black after molting, and slowly fade to brown as they near molt....so all the differences you saw were simply stages they go through.
. I don’t have the second part of the scientific name so I’m at a loss on what I need to be looking for, for my T
You got all there is.

When you see a genus name, followed by sp. somethingorother, its an indicator of a known species, that hasn't yet been described by science and given a specific name....generally these names following sp. are related to locations where the specimens were found or collected.

Dylan Campbell

Arachnosquire
Good...care sheets are garbage, don't read them, they are a very poor source of information.

Care is the same for all Pamphs.

Generally speaking, care is generally the same throughout just about any genus.

Yes, they prefer damp sub, but they tend to be fairly drought tolerant, so its no biggie if it dries out every now and then.

How deep the sub will need to be will depend mostly on your enclosure...if you choose a deep enclosure, it will need more substrate...the idea is to reduce the space from the sub to the top of the enclosure to reduce the fall risk.

This is easy. The purple ones, those are mature males, they only look like this once they have matured. Like most Pamphs, females (and immature males) tend to be black after molting, and slowly fade to brown as they near molt....so all the differences you saw were simply stages they go through.

You got all there is.

When you see a genus name, followed by sp. somethingorother, its an indicator of a known species, that hasn't yet been described by science and given a specific name....generally these names following sp. are related to locations where the specimens were found or collected.
Thank you a TON. Answered every one of my questions :) the one I’m picking up is about 1.5-2 inches long and the tub is exactly 3 inches tall from top to bottom. Would you suggest a bigger one or will this one suffice with about 2 inches of substrate?

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
Holes look a little big.

Being that they are such tremendous eaters, and that they grow so fast (they put on huge growth per molt), you can house them in larger enclosures than you might with other NW terrestrials. Or you can use a smaller enclosure and just re house them as you go every molt or two...either way works just fine. As long as there is room for a dish and, a hide, and enough space for it to spread out, you will be ok.