Packing large communal species in a single container

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, I produced them last year. They've been communal since they were laid. ;)

helixrose

Arachnopeon
I haven't asked them, so I don't know for sure. ;)

I do believe pressing down on their body in a uniform manner does help to keep them calm as opposed to reacting to something poking at them. Every time I do that though, I ask myself if this is going to be the time that they bite through the tissue and get my finger. So far, so good.
We've been beekeepers for 10 years, it's a similar concept, I think- the tongue-in-cheek phraseology among keepers is "you have to move like a cloud" YEP! LIKE YOU!

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ah, nice.

I've wanted to try my hand at beekeeping, but I have a pretty inflammatory allergic reaction to their venom. I've also wanted to try wasps but haven't for the same reason.

helixrose

Arachnopeon
OOH! I'm allergic to bees too, so I have to ask now- if you've been bitten by your T's and how does the venom reaction compare??

Glossworks

Arachnopeon
I must say that even though this is not the conventional packing method that I am used to seeing, Joe has certainly shown that it works!
The communal group of P.regalis showed up alive and well, ALL 17 of them. To the poster above wondering if they needed more padding than just one piece of tissue, yes that probably wouldn't hurt, but every single individual in the deli cup looked nice and cozy when they showed up after a day of being bumped around in transit.

For anyone shipping a communal group of tarantulas down the road, I recommend trying this method!

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
so thats where they all came from. o.o ;P

Wheres mine joe? lol

:)

Good packing skills, your like me when I handle t's :D be one with the spiders! :D

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks Crysta and King Leonidas for the compliments. :)

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
WOW I'm impress that is a very creative way to pack communal Ts. Your now on my "creative list" since I learned something cool from you :) I have one question, would they survive the shipping for a few day if the paper towel is not wet ?

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Wonderful! I'm amazed at how calm both you and the Ts were!