Pac man frog

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm interested in getting another pac - man frog. The one I had about two years ago died because when I brought feeder fish for it, it ate the fish and drank the water the fish come in. It died because the water the fish came in is basically kept with cleaning chemicals in the feeder fish tank at the petco store I got it from to keep the fish alive. This hurt me a lot but I got over it and moved on to corn snakes, then I got tired of those and gave them away and got a ball python that escaped haven't seen him since lol. Now I have 17 tarantulas and may get a new dog lol. Since I know there are many different pac - man frog species when/if I get mine I'll take a few pictures of it so yall can direct me on the proper care for its specific species.

Here are my questions concerning this frog and what I need for a proper set up:

I already have a 29 gallon tank will this last the frog's whole life?

What about substrate should it muddy sphagnum peat moss or dry?

do I need a shallow water bowl?

These guys can eat what about 2-3 adult crickets as juveniles and twice that many as adults?

Is high humidity good or bad for them?

Can they live at room tempeture?

Any other helpful information on these frogs that will help me with proper care I'd greatly appreciate it reading it thanks.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It died because the water the fish came in is basically kept with cleaning chemicals in the feeder fish tank at the petco store I got it from to keep the fish alive.
It didn't die because it "drank the water the fish came in," most likely. It died because fish kept in chemicals are also going to be full of chemicals, and their meat will be as well.

Since I know there are many different pac - man frog species when/if I get mine I'll take a few pictures of it so yall can direct me on the proper care for its specific species.
As far as I know, there are exactly two kinds, C. ornata and C. cranwelli.

I already have a 29 gallon tank will this last the frog's whole life?
That's overkill unless you particularly want a huge decorated tank with a frog that sleeps in one tiny corner of it. A 10g is plenty.

A bunch of basic questions
Okay, I'm not trying to start a fight here, but I honestly have to ask: how did you OWN one of these previously, and how are you planning to get one now, and you don't know this? This is basic, basic, fifteen seconds on Google for "pacman frog" "care sheet" level stuff. :(

I was about to answer them, but then I realized I was just doing your Google searches for you, so uh. ._.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It didn't die because it "drank the water the fish came in," most likely. It died because fish kept in chemicals are also going to be full of chemicals, and their meat will be as well.

As far as I know, there are exactly two kinds, C. ornata and C. cranwelli.

That's overkill unless you particularly want a huge decorated tank with a frog that sleeps in one tiny corner of it. A 10g is plenty.

Okay, I'm not trying to start a fight here, but I honestly have to ask: how did you OWN one of these previously, and how are you planning to get one now, and you don't know this? This is basic, basic, fifteen seconds on Google for "pacman frog" "care sheet" level stuff. :(

I was about to answer them, but then I realized I was just doing your Google searches for you, so uh. ._.
Froget it then. if anyone else actually wants to HELP feel free to do so..IF you arent going to help but instead talk out of your neck like this person is doing dont respond at all...the whole point in people not googling information is because this site is suppose to help answer questions....otherwise its here for no reason.. because all the pac man and pyxie questions i see everyone else asking can be answered by "googling" clearly no one told them to google and they just got answers HERE by asking them Here...but ok whatever....Then yall wonder why some people come here AFTER their frog as died from whatever reason (and when I had this previous pac man frog that died I DIDN'T know about this site).

So if people come here for help they get rashed on...if they dont come here for help they get rashed on. "Damned if you do, damned if you don't"..Hmm I think so...But thats ok and whoever you are, dont bother responding to this just becaus you all a sudden had a change of heart and want to "help" because you aren't being helpful after you posted that. and telling me ONE thing out of all the questions I asked didn't really help. And the size of the tank isnt really that important because pac man frongs dont get stressed from being in any size tank. so that information you gave me about the tank wasn't even helpful. So basically you didn't type anything I actually needed to see. I never asked you how many species of pac mans their are available in the pet trade. So you answer a question I never asked. That's real helpful smh :evil: :clap: :evil: :clap: :embarrassed:

Last edited:

eelnoob

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Most times people ask questions in forums is because they want personal experience/opinion, not because they're too lazy to google......just my $.02.

mitchrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
dont ever feed your frog (or any animal for that matter) goldfish. EVER.
they are very low in nutrition, a pain to keep alive and healthy, and most importantly: practically all of them are treated with copper-based meds. they retain some of the copper, and it causes liver damage to your herp.

with smallish pacs, pixie and budgetts frogs....i have had great results feeding them earthworms, roaches, fresh molted superworms (small) and crickets. always gutload any live food meant for your pets (i like using apples, carrots oatmeal and green beans).

i feed my bigger frogs by hand (well...with tongs)...they all get tilapia/catfish fellets stuffed with kelp/spirulina wafers, frozen river prawns that are also stuffed with the wafers and sometimes with Omega1 brand fish food pellets. most of them dont really go for any inverts but the largest of my roaches, so i usually dont bother. but if yourse does, keep offering. i rarely feed them mice, maybe once a month or less. never live...not because i care about mice, but because i dont want to risk a mouse biting my frog. they also get large earth worms.
dont forget to dust their food.

i keep mine on that coco-fiber bed-a-beast stuff. i give them fresh stuff every couple of weeks, but also spot clean. i have a large water dish in there too. water is cleaned/refilled often. my room is always warm, but i still keep a low watt light on my frogs.

a 29g seems a bit large, not that you couldnt use it. maybe devide it and get 2 frogs :)

~m

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There are something like 9 different species of horned frogs in the genus Ceratophrys, but probably only 2 that you will be able to find in a petstore.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There are something like 9 different species of horned frogs in the genus Ceratophrys, but probably only 2 that you will be able to find in a petstore.
Thanks to everyone who actually said anything on my behalf and thanks to anyone else who gave me caresheet tips I greatly appreciate it. Does anyone know online where i can by other genus species of pyxie or pac man frogs thats reliable?

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks to everyone who actually said anything on my behalf and thanks to anyone else who gave me caresheet tips I greatly appreciate it. Does anyone know online where i can by other genus species of pyxie or pac man frogs thats reliable?
Im not sure about online links but i can provide you with some names to search for. I have always found that a decent library is always much more helpful than the internet.

Horned frogs are placed in their own subfamily, the Ceratophryinae, which is within the family Leptodactylidae. And actually I was incorrect about the number of species, as it is currently in flux and the number keeps on changing, but here are the most common ones:

Ceratophrys cranwelli Chacoan Horned Frog
C. ornata Ornate Horned Frog
C. cornuta Amazonian Horned Frog
C. calcarata Columbian Horned Frog
C. aurita Brazilian Horned Frog (largest species - dinner plate sized - rare in captivity)

Hybrids: - all hybrids are produced using hormone injections to stimulate breeding thus far:
ornate x amazonian
chacoan x amazonian (known as Fantasy Horned Frogs)
ornate x chacoan

Horned Frog Relatives:
Chacophrys pierottii Chacoan Burrowing Frog
Lepidobatrachus llanensis Llanos Budgett's Frog
L. asper Rough-Skinned Budgett's Frog
L. laevis Budgett's Frog

African Bullfrogs:
Pyxicephalus adspersus
P. edulis

And then here are some answers to the questions in your original post:
A 10 gallon would last an average sized horned frog its whole life, so a 29 gallon would definately be large enough. High humidity is better than low humidity. A substrate of moss or coco coir is ideal and make sure you mist it every day or two. What you do not want is for the substrate to become too dry or too soggy. They can live at room temperature but a few degrees above room temperature is better. I currently have some living at room temperature and some at higher temps. The ones at higher temps sure do grow alot quicker. Young frogs should be fed almost everyday almost as much as they will eat which is surely more than 3 crickets. Also the crickets should be dusted with calcium and vitamin d3 because these young frogs are extremely vulnerable to metabolic bone disease (MBD). Once the frog is adult, about a year and a half to 2 years old, then it only needs to be fed once every one or two weeks!!!!!

I recommend searching the words "metabolic bone disease" "gutloading" and any of the scientific names for more information.

Herp13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
JLDomestics has got it completely right(kudos for you). I currently have one Ceratophrys cranwelli that is palm size, i keep him in a big deli-cup with layered paper towels that are always moist, he usually digs into the towels and waits. I have also kept L. laevis before, and i found them to be one of the coolest frogs i have ever had, looks like they are wearing babies pajamas, you know, the ones that go around the feet, so when the baby moves, the pj's strech, well thats what their skin looks like. I currently feed my cranwelli a diet of nightcrawlers, roaches, and a baby mouse every now and then.

-Eric