P.victori slings

GarField000

Arachnosquire
Hello all. I'm lost and sad.
4 weeks ago I bought 2 P.victori slings. first molt.
Few days after I got them I fed them and they where just happy little slings.

10 days ago one molted ...... and died.
grrrr.jpg
(sorry for the bad quality).

The second one didn't eat so I figured it needs a molt as well ....
This morning i wanted to feed it .... and it was in a deathcurl.
Oooo nooooooooooooooo.
I realy don't understand.what I am doing wrong.
I kept them in the slingpot it came in. I just put a few drops off water in it once a week.
I have 110+ spiders and almost all off them where raised form small sling. I never had issue's only with the C.versicolor.
But that was in my startingyear .... i tried different setups, airlfow and moisture levels. They all didn't survive.
begin this year I bought one again as I thought I have enough experience .... and that one is doing perfect.

But now with this ..... What am I doing wrong?
What can/need to change?

Do I need to feed more often? Like twice a week?
Do I need to move it to a fruitfly cup with the 'open' top and make extra holes in the sides for more airflow?
Do I need to raise humidity? I can put it in a bigger container and keep the humidity higher.

I realy want to know what I can do to give it another go. I don't see them that often and I don't want te keep killing them off.
Don't tell me "it just happens' .... Yes sometimes it happens. But not 2 .... and I had one 2 years ago and that was the same ... died in a few weeks.
So it must be something I am doing wrong.

Please let me know what I need to do to raise these little beaty's.

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
The majority of this advice applies to all Psalmopeous species.

good luck!!

sasker

Arachnoprince
Can you post a picture of their enclosure? It could really be anything. Too moist, too dry. Perhaps you could have feed them more, perhaps that has nothing to do with it. It is impossible to say what caused their deaths without more info.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Pics of the enclosures would help with identifying any potential issues. Otherwise, all I can really add is what works for me.

Set up is basically as below, cork bark leant against one side, low level plant cover around the bark, and a water dish.
Ventilation is a row of holes all around the cup just above substrate level, and some holes in the lid (you can add more ventilation if you want but I've found this to be more than sufficient).
I overflow the water dish to moisten the sub in that part of the enclosure and repeat as it dries out.
Feeding every 3-5 days.

Non Avic setup 1.jpg

gabrielgartner

Arachnosquire
You sound experienced... Don't beat yourself up. Slings are small and delicate and some just by chance don't make it. Psalmopoeus as a genus are pretty hardy so it's unlikely something you did. Nevertheless, as keepers it's always good to assess our husbandry and look for ways to improve.

Cheers
Gabriel

GarField000

Arachnosquire
I am not at.home.
But the enclosure is the very small slingpots. No room for corkbark or watherdish.

I have a P.irminia juvi (from a trade), and a P.pulcher adult (as adult from a reptileshelter).

Its an first molt sling so very small. After one molt I would rehouse it to a little bigger pot where the sell fruitfly's in. There I can fit in a corkbark and a watherdish.

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
Happened to me earlier this year. Had 3 P. victori slings, kept them all the same, everything was normal. They all ate, molted and was doing fine. One day, I was feeding them and noticed the other one didn't react at all. I tried moving it, the body just deteriorated. No death curl, no nothing.

On a positive note, the 2 I have are doing great and both are now confirmed females but yeah they don't all make it though.