P. transvaalicus the Sprayer

Fausta

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I noticed in an earlier thread someone mentioned his P. transvaalicus sprayed venom at a cricket. Must have been some cricket. I have had mine for nearly a 14 months, watching him grow from 1/2" to about 2" +/-. Now I have seen him really aggitated, but it never did the spray-thing until one time I was changing his enclosure and a put a drinking glass over him to isolate him. He became enraged and I noticed fine droplets of liquid on a small, say square inch of the glass. Almost like condensation. I am sure he did it, but unfortuantely did not see him do it. Have any others seen it with their specimens? I heard the P. liosoma can do it as well, but I don't know about them as I have had dozens of them over the years and never did see a drop out of them in that regards.
Regards,
Kelly

Mr. X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
One time i tried to push my p.liosoma with a stick toward a cup and she was really pissed. I looked closely and saw a little droplet at the end of the stinger or sting (dont know wich one is the good word sorry) But i never saw a true spray from my p.liosoma.

xav

Kaos

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Been keeping 10 P. leisoma for about a year now and have never seen any of them spray. I don't know where you got this info from, I have never seen it stated anywhere that these can spray venom in any of the scientific litterature i've read. It is also stated by Jan Ove Rein at Scorpion Files that they are no capable of spraying venom.

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mr. X said:
One time i tried to push my p.liosoma with a stick toward a cup and she was really pissed. I looked closely and saw a little droplet at the end of the stinger or sting (dont know wich one is the good word sorry) But i never saw a true spray from my p.liosoma.

xav
Many scorpions ooze venom when they are mad, I've noticed this to with A. australis which forms often quite large droplets on the end of the sting. I've never seen it confirmed in a paper but i think they might exhibit a flicking behaviour rather then spraying, the venom droplets certainly fly off when the flick their tail towards whatever is annoying them.

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my P. transvaalicus has never sprayed that I have seen. Still, I do take care with line of sight when cleaning the enclosure or anything else that irritates it. Never can tell so rather safe than sorry.
Rev

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There was a documentary on nat Geographic I watched a while back (few months) wich had video footage of this spraying. The programme started out discussing scorps in general, mating etc but later got on to the spraying. There was a close up shot of venom being 'squirted' not sprayed although since it was a close up it could have turned into a fine mist away from the telson.

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Richard_uk said:
There was a documentary on nat Geographic I watched a while back (few months) wich had video footage of this spraying. The programme started out discussing scorps in general, mating etc but later got on to the spraying. There was a close up shot of venom being 'squirted' not sprayed although since it was a close up it could have turned into a fine mist away from the telson.
Do you think that this program was specific to the UK?, I would like to purchase that program on tape/DVD.

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't know. To tell you the truth, I can't even remember what it was called, I just got a shout from my dad to see the scorps on TV. At first, it wasn't anything I hadn't seen before but when it got onto the spraying I got really interested! Especially afer reading that they only spray a fine mist, but the film was showing a jet of venom being sprayed. I will have to keep an eye on the listings, I'm certain it will be shown again sometime.

Tarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have an adult transvaalicus.. has never sprayed any venom.. not even for the guy I bought it from.. none of his transvaalicus has ever sprayed venom.. and he has been keeping them for a few years...

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
MetalDragon_boy said:
I have an adult transvaalicus.. has never sprayed any venom.. not even for the guy I bought it from.. none of his transvaalicus has ever sprayed venom.. and he has been keeping them for a few years...
But that doesn't meen they can't or they wont. There is still a risk.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Navaros said:

They definitely can. I got sprayed by P. transvaalicus several months ago. Kugellager (John) and I were doing some photographs of my scorp collection and we placed one (I believe it was the male) of the P. trans in a container for easier pics and the first thing to get my attention was how strong their tail is. I didn't expect the amount of force it was hitting the lid with. Also, there was milky white venom everywhere within a couple minutes. Then, at one point as I completely moved the lid from between the trans and myself it got me. Right on the belly area. It wasn't a tiny little mist either but enough venom to clearly see flying through the air and land on me. I was like "John! That P. trans just shot me!". I'd guess my distance to have been about 2 1/2' away. Anyhow, it was an interesting experience.

Take care.

Atrax

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Atrax, that's amazing, did you ever post any of the P.transvaalicus photos?.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
carpe scorpio said:
Atrax, that's amazing, did you ever post any of the P.transvaalicus photos?.
I believe I posted a pic or two of my female but it was a while ago. Kugellager now has my scorp collection from when I decided I wanted to only deal with T's. I'm pretty sure he has posted some pics of them. If not, I'll likely be seeing him this evening and i'll ask him to put some up. They were an awesome pair of scorps for certain.

Take care.

Tarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Navaros said:
Yes I know. But just because they can doesent mean they will. I think it depens on scorpion to scorpion. Some will spray often and always and some wont.

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm just trying to point out that you shouldn't let your guard down regardless.

Tim R.

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm just trying to point out that you shouldn't let your guard down regardless.
That's sound advice. I was on the phone with Paul form Exopets not long ago. He was digging around for some that he had in a large communal tank. While telling me he had never seen them spray, one blasted the wall of the tank. It's always smart to play it safe.