P. subfusca - male or female???

Rich

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My subfusca jsut molted. I took this pic, I know it's not easy to see but could anyone tell if it's a male or a female?

Attachments

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Something tells me a shot of the underside would be a whole lot more useful ;)
Very very pretty spider you have there. Are the purple hints obvious in real life?

Rich

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Actually, you only see the purple in good lighting.

Midwest Art

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Brut

Looking pretty manly to me. Depending on it's size. Any slings over 2 inches start getting more of the high contrast colorations. The subdued abdomen coloration is an indicator and the purple coloration as they near adulthood. Male subfuscas can mature out at as small as 3 inches. Take a look at the pedipalps.

I've attached a pic of a subadult 3" male.

N-Joy
Art

Last edited:

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Its hard to see in that pic, but looking at the pedipalps it almost looks like its a mature male, does anybody else see this?

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Philth
Its hard to see in that pic, but looking at the pedipalps it almost looks like its a mature male, does anybody else see this?
Yes, looks like a male in ultimate instar to me at that angle.
Take a better pic of the palp tips just to be sure, now that I look at it better.
If it's a male, consider sending it to my brother Jack (Haploman here at Arachnopets). He has a pretty big female that had a recent molt.
John

Last edited:

Rich

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yep...It's definately a mature male. I was able to see the pedipalps and it is now confirmed. Damn...

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
send him to Lariz's bro and make little pokie babies!

Risto

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yes, it's quite apparently a mature male - note the ends of the palps and the muted variegated patterns. Nice purple color!

Hook up with Haploman - he's got adult females!

bill