P. regalis w/ eggsac...

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
John-

I usually wait at least 30 days, but my big problem usually turns out to be mold. I opened a P. cambridgei sac once to see well-developed apparently healthy slings, and a couple of days later nearly all were dead from some type of mold. It might have happened anyway, but it sure seemed to happen fast after I opened the sac.

Excessive moisture is no doubt part of the problem. My house tends to be pretty humid most of the time anyway, I probably didn't need much extra at all in the cup. Live and learn.

Lucky for me, my animal area is on a concrete floor, which dampens most vibrations. It makes it a little easier to leave the sacs in place. I might still pull the sacs, but maybe not open them. I've had that work with Avics before.

Thanks,

Wade

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Wade

I've also heard of giving a female T a cotton ball as a surrogate sac. Anyone try this?

Wade
Yes, I always give my females cotton balls when I take away their eggsacs. Sometimes they accept them, sometimes they don't--it runs about 50% IME. It looks pretty funny to see them carefully nursing a cotton ball for weeks on end. Darrin Vernier suggested it would be even funnier if you drew a little smiley face on it!

Joy

t man{tal}

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey lariz happy to hear about your egg sac
i hope every thing will go smothely

and if it is not to troubeling for you could you email me the prucedure of taking out the sac and to care for it
i have a tarantula which is native to our area ill try to find out the name any way she is gravid
d-azori@zahav.net.il

thanks

Last edited:

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

Originally posted by LaRiz

post embyros will move, but they're not mobile at all. 1st instars are mobile, but are not eaters yet.
already praelarvaes (= post embryos) are in position to ingest nutrition – there are several observations that praelarvaes "stuck" at undevelopped eggs, which loose volume while the praelarvaes gain volume.
In this article you'll find more infos about this topic:
  • STRIFFLER, B. (2003): Postembryonal-Entwicklung bei Vogelspinnen (Theraphosidae) – vom Ei zur Jungspinne. DeArGe Mitteilungen 8(3): 16-28.
And a photo about this subject (on the photo you can see Haplopelma lividum praelarvaes):

edit (16.05.2004): URL fixed

all the best,
Martin

Last edited:

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Martin,
That is very interesting! I've never seen this first hand in anything that I've bred, though I would never suspect they were feeding. Maybe it's because in the last 7 eggsacs I had, almost all hatched out, with only like 1 or 2 at the most not developing. These get picked out right away, so I would never see them getting eaten.
I've heard that 1st instars in some species are capable of eating and drinking, but not all species. I would never think post embyros are capable of feeding. Very neat.
john

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just an update...

The post embyros have started to molt into 1st instars.
john

Poecilotheria regalis

Attachments

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
wow, that is incredible looking! thank you for that awesome picture. i have never seen anything like that. i didn't realize that they're abdomens were so huge...

so...hell, i can't even begin to think of all the questions i have about that picture.

nevermind i guess. :)

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Congrates and thanks for posting your new updated baby pictures!

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LaRiz, you mentioned how your regalis took chunks out of the corkbark and used them for the eegsac. My P. fasciata does the same thing, except she uses it for her webbing around the shelter.

I'll let you know whether she'll do it around the eggsac or not. I must agree with you that it indeed is rather interesting...I never heard her taking the chunks out...most likely happened when I was asleep then I guess =D

Later,

Jake