P. Regalis mating dance.

kyspydrguy

Arachnopeon
I have a breeding pair of Indian Ornamental, P.Regalis, when I put them in the cage together and imediatly the female crawled out of her hole the moment he started a tapping dance. They were in a ten gallon tank together with a piece of glass seperating them for a couple of weeks untill I got all the info i needed to properly breed them. Anyways the moment he got to her side of the tank, he imediatly began his tapping. He would quiver his abdomen and than tap. It was very delibrate, every tap. He did the same rytham or beat every time. Same number of taps almost every time. And every time he did it the female answered back with her own little dance and tap. She would persue him but he would never let her get up too close. He was constantly on guard. He would just make her quiver and want him and persue him but he always backed away before they toutched. It was kindof romantic. Anyways. The so far the next day they have basicly ignored each other all day.

Is this normal?
Any input?
Just trying to make sure things go as smoothly as possible.

Thanks.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
it was the same with mine - and it seems this is not unusual for regalis. they will resume drumming after dark, mine did so for about 10 days. the males seem very shy, but normally the female will tolerate a male in her tank for several days. it's up to you to catch him and put him in again every night, but most likely he'll need a few more tries before he gets her pregnant. so don't give up hope, they're just big on foreplay :D

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This is very normal for P. regalis. I had a male cohabitating with my female for 4 months before he died of natural causes. There were several occassions in which I saw what you have described.

I believe most people allow this species to cohabitate for a few days, remove the male, then reintroduce them after a week. The method you choose is entirely up to you.

There are a few threads on this topic. You might want to try to search for them. They could prove to be helpful.