p.ornata communal

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
Well I want to.give one a shot. I've had a colony of regalis and worked out pretty well till they started molting into 4" and I decided to remove them due to a death. I am turning to.you all with existence or any knowledge on a good colony. Even links would help guys. Any advise is gladly accepted! Let me know what you know or think! =)

Cheers
Ravin

Ps. Before you tell me I can't do it here's a link to robc's and I've googled other succesful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=e30oxxPoLo0

This is strictly for me to just give it a shot they are my favorite.

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
I noticed lol I sent him a message just a minute ago. Lol

But what do you think I should try it with? I just thought ornatas would be kinda cool after seeing some others but yeah ill find out whenever rob messages back what his insight on it is

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I have three p. formosa in a communal setup. They are sacmates, about 2.5". Have had them since November. Two have molted. 6x6x12" arboreal setup, and they share the same hammock frequently. I keep the waterdish full and crickets in the tank (the crickets tend to migrate to the top...)

So far so good. I know it's risky, but as long as they have room and plenty of food they may be all right. I will rehouse if needed.

Marga

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Lovely thank you! =)))))

Do you keep crickets in there at all times?
I do - they keep disappearing. My co-workers are just as keen on having this work as I am, so we do "baby spotting", and everyone stops to have a look when all three venture out for a "toe count".

Marga

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You surely read it, they are the most mutually intolerant Pokies... like even during the first instars they cannibalize on an industrial level : (

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
Yep I'm realizing bad idea now. Lol rob said his lasted till about 3-4" and then it turned out bad. So I'm guessing once they get a bit bigger they go thunderdome on eachother.6 spiders enter. One fat spider leaves.... starring master blaster and Mel Gibson. Rofl

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What did I tell ya? You should stick with one of the more communal tolerant pokies.

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
Yeah but I did tel you i was going to remove them at about 3" did I not? And what would you suggest I use? By what I've heard all pokies are tolerant to eachother. Lol like cohab during breeding and such.

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 PM ----------

I re read that and there wasn't an intended side remark mate. just saying. Lol

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I could care less what you do. I was just pointing out to you that you're probably going to waste your money if you choose ornata.

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
ill ask one last time

Then what would you suggest!? I am looking to you for guidance on the situation because you have more knowledge then me in it. Save me from waiting money on my favorite t. Save me from putting my favorite t in harms way more per say.

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

Sorry but thats just irritating. I've asked about 3 times now. But you reply with an I told you so method. And yet give no guidance

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Then what would you suggest!? I am looking to you for guidance on the situation because you have more knowledge then me in it. Save me from waiting money on my favorite t. Save me from putting my favorite t in harms way more per say.

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

Sorry but thats just irritating. I've asked about 3 times now. But you reply with an I told you so method. And yet give no guidance
Guidance? Really?

Let me guess...you didn't read those threads...at all...

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
No no I did I read most but everyone.had a failure at some point and or ended it at some point. So my main point in guidance because you were the first to.give me.the no.go.on the ornatas was which one you think would be best you know?

---------- Post added at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 AM ----------

I think regalis seems to be the probable most succesful

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The difference between ornata and others is immense. Like, rufilata can go multigenerational (been told) but ornatas kill each others almost when they're still in the egg!

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
guidance... hmm, lets see
what ever species of tarantulas you will decide to keep communal you will come across to cannibalism and losses,
some species more tolerant to each other then others. But All that also depend on condition groups been kept.
I have bred many and had little to no time with my full time schedule
I have left spiderlings together with mothers many times and for months
most do fine even less tolerant and aggressive species , but there is time when they need to go their own ways,
after all they are predators and will prey on whats ever is available even if its smaller or weaker sibling
natures way, survival of the fittest, biggest, baddest, with most teeth, sharper fangs and killing power,... ETC
so, when come time to kill and eat, they do what they do best,
if you want to give a shot, read peoples experience and go with most tolerant species you may think,
But! your experience could be totally different from others
Good luck

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
Thank you anastasia I.think I'm going to get a few ornata slings and see how it goes if I waste money I waste money the experience if its succesful will be worth much more to me =)

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
I know i am putting them at risk but we do that keeping them in captivity everyday. You know? I don't want to put them in harms way, but you don't know just as much as I don't if it will be a complete fail. I've got a mail and female Subfusca that are about 4" now are from different sacs and have been together since 1". Came directly from a good friend of mine. It's a risk I'm willing to take. I love the species they are my absolute favorite. So if I were to have a successful community at about 4" when I separate them I will feel very accomplished. But you have to realize we run a risk for every communal setup just as anastasia stated. You never know what could happen. And I give you my word first signs of aggression they will all be removed

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

I could care less what you do. I was just pointing out to you that you're probably going to waste your money if you choose ornata.
Wait i thought you said it wasn't about the money.....

---------- Post added at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

Wait i thought you said it wasn't about the money.....