P. ornata chaos

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Sounds like something else is going on behind the scenes, it seems odd for him to send you another pair if he knew the first one was female from the start, the vendors I buy from would be clear on the fact that they sexed it and would know the gender for certain, they would not just send more...

It seems he probably didn't know wether it was female or not, anyway I'll let you deal with that but it's not good business in my eyes. I really hope they aren't all males, that's ridiculous, if you buy a sexed spider at a premium you should be getting what you paid for. Keep us posted on their next molts, fingers crossed you have a female.
I agree its rather odd. The seller is not all that versed in sexing, but got so many pokie sacs this spring that they are just sending them to people?

@boina you are a better person than I. I would have considered the other two a gift/ reconsiliation for sending you the wrong thing.

Enjoy your new pokie clan. I know you will!

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
I saw the title and expected a story about rampaging Ornata. Was disappointed.

Though, nice deal you got yourself there! Luckily the tarantulas survived being left in the car.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I waited until it was on the container wall ;) You have to get the right angle of light to see it at times. My Rufi's was very prominent.
I wasn't going to bring up this point unless you had mentioned it (in reference to your first post) as I didn't want to seem argumentative or have it be misconstrued as trying to undermine your knowledge..

Age, species, lighting and angle can all play a large role in "Dot" sexing poecs.. It is however light years more reliable than sexing 99% of them dorsally.. Ornata are the easiest to sex dorsally and metallica are the hardest to sex ventrally IME.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Certainly is generous of them to send you some extra spiders. But it kind of bothered me that they would send live animals without notifying you first. Can you imagine if it happened to be a really hot or really cold day, and you left that package in your car like that? Would've sucked to open a package with dead Ts in it.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
I found that thread when I got the first ornata. That's where I got most of my knowledge from :). Great thread!
male/female/leaning female. The last one has leg setae right in the way of the carapace area we need to see.
Chad takes pictures of freshly molted specimens plus his picture clarity makes the carapace difference night and day. At their size it should be easy to tell in person referencing Chad's thread. Get a good pic of the third ornata's vent or carapace, whichever is easiest if your still unsure.

boina

Lady of the mites
male/female/leaning female. The last one has leg setae right in the way of the carapace area we need to see.
Chad takes pictures of freshly molted specimens plus his picture clarity makes the carapace difference night and day. At their size it should be easy to tell in person referencing Chad's thread. Get a good pic of the third ornata's vent or carapace, whichever is easiest if your still unsure.
Thank you, I'll try.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I hope one is female!
I agree it seems dodgy that seller would randomly send a couple more -- since they weren't requested... not sure I'd have paid. I mean, you already paid once for a female!
Finally, I started reading your post and immediately thought the story was going to end with them being cooked in a hot car. So glad that wasn't the case!

[Anyone sending live inverts REALLY should let someone know ahead of time to expect them -- what if you'd been on vacation or something and not able to receive them in timely manner!]

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
About a month ago I got my first Poecilotheria, a P. ornata. After posting pictures here people suggested it might not be the female I ordered but instead a male. So, I contacted the seller and asked if he was absolutely sure of the sex of the spider. We had a friendly email conversation and agreed to wait for the next molt and have another look at the sex then.

Last week I found a notification in my mailbox that I had a package to pick up at the local post office. Since I had ordered some stuff online I expected that would be it. I stopped by the post office the next day on my way to work, picked up the package, threw it in my car, went to work and forgot about it. The next day I remembered I still had a package in my car and finally started to unwrap it - you can guess where this is going, right? I opened the package and found not one, but two completely unexpected (and unpaid for) P. ornata!! I was totally shocked, especially since the spiders had spent more than a day unnecessarily in my car, just because I didn't expect any spiders! Of course, I hadn't prepared enclosures for them either. I had one more tall glass terrarium that I got ready for one and the other one... well, I emptied out a somewhat taller acrylic pasta container, melted some holes in there and the last one had to make do with that. It will work for the time being, at least until the next molt.

I contacted the seller and he said he'd had so many egg sacs this spring and he needed space, so he thought he'd send me two more to make sure I had a female now... I'm still floored, writing this. When I asked what I owed him he told me to just pay what I thought, since I hadn't really ordered them... (I paid him a fair price, of course.)

So, here they are:
View attachment 241744

What do you think about the sex? On the left is the one I got first and the pattern looks like he may be male, as I learned. The other two are new. I think the middle one looks female and I'm not sure about the last. Btw, they are 3.75". Unfortunately the lighting isn't so good because I didn't get them to keep still for a picture yet after housing them.

Well, now I've three P. ornatas instead just the one juvenile female I wanted...
Not got a clue about the sex but what a fantastic surprise, fortunately they were OK in the mail and your car, thank goodness, the seller must be a real gentleman to have done what he did, wish more were like him.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I wasn't going to bring up this point unless you had mentioned it (in reference to your first post) as I didn't want to seem argumentative or have it be misconstrued as trying to undermine your knowledge..

Age, species, lighting and angle can all play a large role in "Dot" sexing poecs.. It is however light years more reliable than sexing 99% of them dorsally.. Ornata are the easiest to sex dorsally and metallica are the hardest to sex ventrally IME.
I completely agree on the species and dot sexing. Trust me man, you and I are always good.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
This is the third one ventrally:
View attachment 242087

male or female? @14pokies @viper69 could you have a look?
Hard to say for sure with me only being awake ten minutes after sleeping for only two hours but it looks male..
*Edit*
The more I look at it, It looks to be in premolt also it's very dark.. I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually female.. Only 50/50 on this one right now but my gut says male

Last edited:

boina

Lady of the mites
Hard to say for sure with me only being awake ten minutes after sleeping for only two hours but it looks male..
*Edit*
The more I look at it, It looks to be in premolt also it's very dark.. I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually female.. Only 50/50 on this one right now but my gut says male
Thanks for looking while still half asleep ;). Although I'd hoped for the other conclusion, of course...

Edit: what is it over there? 6.20 am? Yikes...

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Thanks for looking while still half asleep ;). Although I'd hoped for the other conclusion, of course...

Edit: what is it over there? 6.20 am? Yikes...
Yea I'm usually up by 6am anyways the problem was that I didn't sleep well :mad:.. I just got a chance to look at it again and it looks male..

boina

Lady of the mites
Oh well... that leaves one probable female out of three... and I wasn't buying slings because I wanted just ONE (female) spider instead of having to find space for three large tarantulas :arghh:.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Oh well... that leaves one probable female out of three... and I wasn't buying slings because I wanted just ONE (female) spider instead of having to find space for three large tarantulas :arghh:.
I really hope at least one turns out female for you, if and when those males mature I would try and get them back to your seller, if he's breeding he will need them anyway. Maybe when that happens he can hook you up with some slings, or something along those lines. After all this was quite an unnecessary hassle for you, I hope your seller realizes that. It could of all been avoided if he knew how to properly sex them...