P. murinus (OBT) breeding

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well I posted this thread then realized there was a current one posted on the species. However, since that one is mired in debate at the moment, I decided to re-post this post. Now... on with the post.

I have a male OBT that just matured and I've got a female that is mature and ready to go. I'm looking for any tips from people with experience breeding these. Holley, I know you have some experience here... any suggestions?

Just in case anyone is concerned... they are all ORANGE. I have a yellow one, but I'm going to stick with orange on orange without taking a stance on the issue.

Botar

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey, you can always post a pic of the yellow - not enough people get to see those (and IMHO, they're just as nice as the Usambara region morphs).

It's often a good trick to take some of the female's webbing and chuck it in with the male so he can be 'alerted' as to her proximity and perhaps be more prepared when he's dropped in.

bill

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks Bill... that's just the kind of thing I was looking for. Now will that work with all species or just this one? I like the idea.

I'll try to get a picture next time I see it out.

Botar

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I've had really good luck with these. Both females let the male cohabitate for quite some time before deciding to eat him. Both females shortly thereafter made eggsacs. One of the male's even helped the female enlarge her home to make room for the eggsac before eating him, nice huh?!
IME, I would introduce him, and let him live with her, unless you are rotating him

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
well, i'm not sure where i read this, but i didn't make it up as i'm quite new to Ts.

however, i heard particularly for the aggressive types, if you don't want to lose your T, you can put a screen in the middle of the tank and then place the male on the other side.

they can mate through the screen and the male will be protected from the female's possible later mood swings or snack attacks. :D

hope that helps, and good luck!

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Skadiwolf,

I'm going to have to say that from the point of view of a mechanic, Two t's mating through a screen is impossible. Have you read anything on Tarantula mating yet?

Bill

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I am fairly new to tarantulas but I was wondering how do you know your tarantula is mature enough for breeding? We have a Orange Usambra Baboon adult F. We would like to mate her but really don't know when the time is right and how to tell if she is mature enough.

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
actually, i read on some T site about the mating through a screen part. i thought that sounded really strange, but there it is... honestly i can't remember which one however. :(

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I doubt it would be possible through a window screen, but it might be possible through 1/4" mesh. Kind of seems like an interesting concept. Might be worth a try on the more aggressive T's like T. blondi. My biggest concern would be if one of them might get a leg or fang hung up in the mesh during the process. Still, it might be worth some checking into.

Botar

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
My whole problem with the screen thing, is that I just can't see any screen big enough to allow palp insertion not allowing fang insertion. So, that said.. would a male even be able to 'perform' without going through the other motions? (i.e, holding the fangs up, etc) I guess it's not unworthy of experimentation.. but I see little point in it myself.

Bill

SoCalKyle

Arachnopeon
This is just an idea, but put the male in some type of deli container and set him in the females inclosuer let her come out to see whats going on. And watch how he reacts. If things look promising open the deli container and let him crawl out on his own.

Ive never tried breeding this species, and im prolly telling you the totally wrong thing to do but i dont think it would hurt to try

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I had good luck just introducing the male to the females enclosure. She spends most of her time in her hide, so when I introduced him, he found the webbing and drummed on it. She responded by coming out and mating with him.
I've got it on tape and it was amazing!
My female unfortunately ate the male on the 3rd mating attempt. Nothing I could do to stop it. The size difference was considerable.
Godd luck and let us know how it goes.
Ralph

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The female molted about a month ago and the male just molted a couple of days ago so I've got to wait another month or so.

Botar