P. murinus breeding

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Here is my situation.
My large female P. murinus was bred last September which resulted in a clutch of eggs in October and spiderlings around Christmas. I got 126 P. murinus spiderlings from that effort.
Since then, she molted in March and has been eating very well. She is almost 6 inches.
Okay, here is the question:
About 4 months ago, I purchased some additional P. murinus juveniles in hopes of getting a couple males for possible future breeding efforts. Unfortunately, one of the new ones I got molted mature this past week.
Do you all think my female is ready to go, or do you think its too close to her last eggsac to try again. I really don't want to put her at risk, and would love to hear what you all think.
Ralph

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thats a very interesting question! I can't wait to hear what the breeders and experts have to say!

Zombie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Orange bitey things

Hey Ralph.
We have never tried breeding P. murinus, not due to not wanting to, but the opportunity had never presented itself. I know a few people who have, and they reported great success with them. Apparently as aggressive as they are to us, they are very affectionate towards each other.
As far as proper breeding seasons, I was unable to locate anything specific to murinus.
Females can retain sperm for a long time, so I don't think it would be a problem.
I would just wait for him to throw a sperm web, then put them together.
If she doesn't seem receptive, seperate them, wait a few days, and try it again.
Good luck.

Eric.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Like Eric said, it shouldn't be a problem. Just keep a close eye on the female to see if she's interested.
Other than that, the only other worry would be whether she is likely to molt before gestation.

Good luck.

Atrax

Zombie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dammit!
Good save Atrax. I am always forgetting something.

What the hell?
Where is my underwear...

Peloquin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have actually had P. murinus females "standing guard" over the male after mating. They are joint easiest to mate along with C. darlingi, another very gentle species.
So long as she has had a sack hatch and fed a couple of times it's worth a go. You may be lucky and catch her before she moults again. Either that or hope she moults soon so you can try after.
Personally, I'd keep the male cool after mating them and see if you can use him again if she does moult.

RichardDegville

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes mate I would go again but remember p murinus can double clutch so you could end up with an egg sac from 1st male lol

Critterfarm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ralph -
it should be fine. I've bred a female P. lugardi as close as 93 days from her laying a previous sac, then molting. As long as she is at proper "weight" again I don't see any problems. If she isn't ready she will surely let you know ;)

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wish my OBT was a gentle soul towards her mates. She ate the first one. Mated the second one for a split second a couple months after, and she ate him too. This guy got it in though!

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
OBT's tend to double clutch anyways, so they're used to two sacs a year. I bred 3 females earlier this year, and 2 are now sitting on their second sacs. Key thing is feeding the female well, so she regains her weight in between and after.

satch

Arachnoknight
Here is my situation.
My large female P. murinus was bred last September which resulted in a clutch of eggs in October and spiderlings around Christmas. I got 126 P. murinus spiderlings from that effort.
Since then, she molted in March and has been eating very well. She is almost 6 inches.
Okay, here is the question:
About 4 months ago, I purchased some additional P. murinus juveniles in hopes of getting a couple males for possible future breeding efforts. Unfortunately, one of the new ones I got molted mature this past week.
Do you all think my female is ready to go, or do you think its too close to her last eggsac to try again. I really don't want to put her at risk, and would love to hear what you all think.
Ralph
After my female laid a sack and they hatched and i sold all she then molted I let her harden for a week and fed the heck out of her paired her and got another sack!! Hope this helps!
I just broke a long story down too 3 lines! Rather then explain in full detail!
Iphone suck for typing lol