P. metallica not molting?

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine is about 2" long and hasn't molted since New year. It's almost 1 year old now... It's not eating much either. Is this relatively slow growth normal?

Dr Pies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sounds about right within that time frame. How often do feed him/her?

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wish it is "her" :). I feed her about once in 1-2 weeks as she doesn't eat much.
It's just that my choco has grown far more in the same time frame, so I am a little worried

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Growth rates can vary by temps and food, conditions in general.

But as long as she appears healthy and does not become skinny in the abdomen you dont have anything to worry about.

What are your current conditions now?

Dr Pies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Like the man Talkenlate says, if the spider looks generally healthy, then everything is probably ok. What temperature do you keep the spider at, btw?

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, I live in Ca, so it's just room temperature, 70-80F; I keep the bottle cap in the terrarium full most of the time and sprinkle twice a month. The spider looks reasonably fat most of the time, but the colors seem faded from the previous molt, when it was showing purples and yellows.

Dr Pies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have noticed a slight variation in colour definition in my p.metallicas after molting, I doubt there is anything to worry about. You could post a pic though to make sure.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i've noticed that both my p. metallica won't drink from a bottlecap/dish - so i mist one wall of the container about twice every week. they are relatively slow growers as far as pokies go, but still, maybe it will eat more with better access to water. mine certainly do.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i've noticed that both my p. metallica won't drink from a bottlecap/dish - so i mist one wall of the container about twice every week. they are relatively slow growers as far as pokies go, but still, maybe it will eat more with better access to water. mine certainly do.
I agree 100%, every pokie I ever had ignored the water dish but loved to suck water off the side of the glass, and I loved to watch.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
my p. metallica as awell as my other pokies never drink from their water dishes,but i always keep water in there anyway,they get misted once aweek,i really never see them drink from the sides either,when i'm not looking that is:p

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have an extremely large Female Regalis who will drink out of the small deli cup I keep in her enclosure. She is about 8 years old.

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
"she" has been like that for a while. SHould I withdraw the crickets from her KK?

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer

How on earth do you know that? I want to know your secret. :cool:
I have mines, since sling. When they look like that, they are ready to pop. Keep her warm and she will molt for you this week or the next.

tacoma0680

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have seen poecilotheria molt really quick. I have heard they are very quick to molt and reach some size.