P.met bolus fling!!!

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
WOW i was just sitting here at my computer and all of a sudden my female P.metallica comes out from behind her cork bark and flings her dinner remains at the glass..IT WAS AWESOME!she moves her fangs a little and calmly walks back into her hide.im sure most of you have seen that a million times but that was my first.i was pretty excited not only for the fact that she was out,but she came out and threw something at me!{D

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
:D

Yea I've seen my P. regalis as well my P. irminia do this little `flick` and the first time was similar.. One of those `what the ..` `oh sweet ..` moments :)

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
caught my one of my P. cambridgei doin the "flick"...and banked it off the side of the cube, into the water dish....couldnt believe it!....im sure it was a flook shot, but then again, all the boluses end up in the water dish....hmmm

Balkastalkman

Arachnosquire
I know exactly what your talking bout it seems like almost all my arboreal do this (pokes taps and psamos). I love watching them take out the trash. :D

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My Psalmopoeus sp. will commonly fling the bolus towards or IN the water bowl. Doesn't even seem to matter if the bowl is near the web entrance or not.

They also get poop in the bowl. :p

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My Psalmopoeus sp. will commonly fling the bolus towards or IN the water bowl. Doesn't even seem to matter if the bowl is near the web entrance or not.

They also get poop in the bowl. :p
There was a thread or comment in a thread awhile back (maybe 5+ months) debating why it seems they tend to place/fling/leave them in water bowls etc..

I can't remember the consensus (if there every is one on AB ;) ) but I believe I and others felt it could be a way of washing away evidence of the meal to keep the area clean of pests as well possible predators. The use of water may help cover up or wash away the remnants of feeding, burrowing, etc which is why I believe you see this and other activities such as excavating substrate and putting it in water dishes/etc.

While we could never really know it's kind of neat to think that such a simple creature who's motivated and programmed to follow their passed instinctual traits and habits. It lends the belief that everything has a purpose however silly it may look to us; to them it may be a preservation technique :)

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There was a thread or comment in a thread awhile back (maybe 5+ months) debating why it seems they tend to place/fling/leave them in water bowls etc..

I can't remember the consensus (if there every is one on AB ;) ) but I believe I and others felt it could be a way of washing away evidence of the meal to keep the area clean of pests as well possible predators. The use of water may help cover up or wash away the remnants of feeding, burrowing, etc which is why I believe you see this and other activities such as excavating substrate and putting it in water dishes/etc.

While we could never really know it's kind of neat to think that such a simple creature who's motivated and programmed to follow their passed instinctual traits and habits. It lends the belief that everything has a purpose however silly it may look to us; to them it may be a preservation technique :)
That sounds very plausible. Lots of ants, wasps and mammals would love to find a tarantula.

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wow now that i think about it, i found one in the water dish and the one that she flicked at me last night landed 1" from the dish.pretty cool.