P. lugardi???

Greyhalo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I believe the T in the picture below to be a Pterinochilus lugardi however I'm not really sure. I found the T in question at a chain pet store, Superpetz, marked as Tarantula - Assorted. According to an employee, they get shipments every once in a while that are just marked assorted and so that’s what they label them as. After getting a good look at the T I was pretty sure it was a Pterinochilus species of some sort but I didn’t think it was P. murinus. It's around 2.5"-3", they wanted $20 for it and I don’t currently have any Ts of that genus so I figured what the heck and ended up purchasing it. I'm just wondering if any of you agree that it is P. lugardi? Any help and/or input would be greatly appreciated.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It is a Pterinochilus lugardi, not a doubt, and does'nt look like a really healty one either in bad need of a good home and a molt.

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Price seems a bit high, (perhaps I'm cheap?!) but it's a lovely addition to any serious collection - well done! I live in South Africa, where these are found and am yet to see one, so if you don't wanna keep yours..? {D

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i to think it's a P. lugardi, at first i was alittle unsure but that was because of some of the markings looking alittle nonexistent. now that i realize its just in need of alittle TLC and a molt...if its not P. lugardi I'd be shocked...

DrGigglez666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
it is

It is a P. lugardi i had one that looked the same as that. You can tell by the markings and dull color on its body!! But nice T man!!

Greyhalo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks guys for the replies and the confirmation. Have any of you ever heard of pet stores getting shipments of T's simply marked as assorted? I've only been in the hobby for 7 months now but its the first time I've seen or heard of it. I was surprised that if whoever shipped it to them really didnt know what it was they didnt just make up some common name for it. Even more surprised the pet store didnt make up something for it.

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks guys for the replies and the confirmation. Have any of you ever heard of pet stores getting shipments of T's simply marked as assorted? I've only been in the hobby for 7 months now but its the first time I've seen or heard of it. I was surprised that if whoever shipped it to them really didnt know what it was they didnt just make up some common name for it. Even more surprised the pet store didnt make up something for it.

Ha nothing that pet stores do now surprises me much. If they do surprise me then it’s because they actually know what they are talking about {D lol.

Congrats on your new P lugardi!! Mine was one of my first T’s and I like her a lot. These are definitely hands off. Give her lots of soil so she can build a nice deep burrow. CedrikG is the expert on these and if you would like to see a nice habitat go to his pictures thread and look around.

Steph