P. Irminia Sling Feeding

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
Hey y'all. So today during feeding of my T's my Sun Tiger (a 1.5" sling) had it's legs out of the tunnel like it was hungry. I dropped a cricket in, and it snatched it right up immediately from my tongs and took it down it's tube. Instead of eating it, it killed it and placed it in the burrow and came right back out looking for more. I dropped another in (both small crix) and it did the same thing. I shined a light in and it killed both, and they're just dead in it's burrow where the T placed them, and the sling came right back out chilling at the top of the burrow looking for more.

I assume it's just looking for more? I guess it will just see that there's no more food coming and just go back in and eat it when it wants to.. is this strange, them killing prey, not eating it, keeping it in the burrow and coming back out looking for more before they even ate the first one? Lol

Thanks,

J

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
I've absolutely seen my L. Parahybana do this if that helps... If they don't want to eat it they'll simply kick it out of their burrow for you to collect later (and probably attack you as you do it haha)

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
I've absolutely seen my L. Parahybana do this if that helps... If they don't want to eat it they'll simply kick it out of their burrow for you to collect later (and probably attack you as you do it haha)
Looks like mine is now digesting them as I speak. I guess it was just like a dog at a dinner table.. give me more give me more. Looks like it's eating them now. Lol

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Did your T take the cricket directly from your tong?

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
Did your T take the cricket directly from your tong?
Yea on the first crix. He grabbed from tongs, little guy too. The first one grabbed right from tongs. After he grabbed it being fierce and took it to it's den, he came back out for more and ignored the first crix in the den. Then I dropped a second, dropped it not far from it's hole and it snatched it and brought that 2nd one in the hole too. After that one it came back out and chilled, I figured "I just gave you two you're not even eating those" so I stopped. About 10 min after I stopped I noticed it went back in and munched on them. I guess he was just on the lookout for more.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yea on the first crix. He grabbed from tongs, little guy too. The first one grabbed right from tongs. After he grabbed it being fierce and took it to it's den, he came back out for more and ignored the first crix in the den. Then I dropped a second, dropped it not far from it's hole and it snatched it and brought that 2nd one in the hole too. After that one it came back out and chilled, I figured "I just gave you two you're not even eating those" so I stopped. About 10 min after I stopped I noticed it went back in and munched on them. I guess he was just on the lookout for more.
WHY the hell are you spoon feeding a very capable ambush predator?

Do you know in the wild they feed themselves?

Using tongs in that manner is really not smart at all, not at all.

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
WHY the hell are you spoon feeding a very capable ambush predator?

Do you know in the wild they feed themselves?

Using tongs in that manner is really not smart at all, not at all.
I didn't do it on purpose. At all. No need to think I was spoon feeding.

I opened the enclosure just to drop it in, and it came at the tongs and took it literally as I was about to drop it. I wasn't spoon feeding it. I know it's capabilities. Please don't be quick to judge. I've read your replies all over for years. While full of information which I thank you for over years of lurking, you're known to be blunt and come off very insensible and just not friendly, even though deep down it seems you want what's best for the animals. Please don't just think I'm an idiot. I'm not an idiot.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I didn't do it on purpose. At all. No need to think I was spoon feeding.

I opened the enclosure just to drop it in, and it came at the tongs and took it literally as I was about to drop it. I wasn't spoon feeding it. I know it's capabilities. Please don't be quick to judge. I've read your replies all over for years. While full of information which I thank you for over years of lurking, you're known to be blunt and come off very insensible and just not friendly, even though deep down it seems you want what's best for the animals. Please don't just think I'm an idiot. I'm not an idiot.
I don’t think you’re an idiot. If I thought you were an idiot I’d PM you and tell you so.

Im direct, don’t waste time, mine or the reader’s.

I recognize some people prefer milk and cookies with their bedtime stories, I’m not that
storyteller :rofl:

As for friendly- this is a forum, not a popularity contest.

As someone who has read my posts you’ll know I care about the animals, and the hell with the owners is my thinking.;)

Lastly most people that have a post with tong feeding like yours don’t have your knowledge unfortunately. If you have lurked for years I’m sure you have seen such posts.

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
I don’t think you’re an idiot. If I thought you were an idiot I’d PM you and tell you so.

Im direct, don’t waste time, mine or the reader’s.

I recognize some people prefer milk and cookies with their bedtime stories, I’m not that
storyteller :rofl:

As for friendly- this is a forum, not a popularity contest.

As someone who has read my posts you’ll know I care about the animals, and the hell with the owners is my thinking.;)
Just know I didn't spoon feed it. I know what it can do, it's a T that can hunt well and packed with an attitude. Like I mentioned, it came up and took it from my tongs. I didn't feed it from my tongs.. it decided to swiftly come up and take it right before I dropped it, I wouldn't dangle it in front of it like dog treats lol. I just try to drop it close to the corner it's in so it will get it faster. But it wanted it right then I guess, even tho he ate it later. Lol 😆

I agree. That's why I like your posts. You're direct. And like I stated before, thank you for all your information. It has helped a lot.

@viper69 I was just mainly curious why it would grab them, kill them and look for more without eating what it had first only to go back and eat them 10 min later. all my others just eat them when they get them, or refuse to eat. lol Odd to me.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just know I didn't spoon feed it. I know what it can do, it's a T that can hunt well and packed with an attitude. Like I mentioned, it came up and took it from my tongs. I didn't feed it from my tongs.. it decided to swiftly come up and take it right before I dropped it, I wouldn't dangle it in front of it like dog treats lol. I just try to drop it close to the corner it's in so it will get it faster. But it wanted it right then I guess, even tho he ate it later. Lol 😆

I agree. That's why I like your posts. You're direct. And like I stated before, thank you for all your information. It has helped a lot.
Ive raised these before too. For a secretive species they can pounce quite nimbly; all Ts can actually.

You’re quite welcome. Hopefully someday someone will thank you someday when they were a lurker too. I know I did!

@viper69 I was just mainly curious why it would grab them, kill them and look for more without eating what it had first only to go back and eat them 10 min later. all my others just eat them when they get them, or refuse to eat. lol Odd to me.
agreed- usually such behavior means not hungry. However yours ate! And I too have observed the same behavior across many species.

I speculate for some species food is scarce, and they are prone to taking whatever they can get, then go back to eating. Though, I don’t believe this is the entire explanation for this observed behavior. It’s too simple. It could be at times a T is on the defense a bit takes out invaders, then once it feels secure goes about eating as well

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
agreed- usually such behavior means not hungry. However yours ate! And I too have observed the same behavior across many species.

I speculate for some species food is scarce, and they are prone to taking whatever they can get, then go back to eating. Though, I don’t believe this is the entire explanation for this observed behavior. It’s too simple. It could be at times a T is on the defense a bit takes out invaders, then once it feels secure goes about eating as well
THAT is kind of what I was thinking. Either protecting its den from invaders, or hoarding food making sure it "got all that was available." But after the 2 crickets it got a fat abdomen. I'm happy, I'm sure it is too. Fast growers too. Double the size since last molt. it was like .75" and it's pushing 1.25" now, and it molted about 3 weeks ago.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
THAT is kind of what I was thinking. Either protecting its den from invaders, or hoarding food making sure it "got all that was available." But after the 2 crickets it got a fat abdomen. I'm happy, I'm sure it is too. Fast growers too. Double the size since last molt. it was like .75" and it's pushing 1.25" now, and it molted about 3 weeks ago.
def fast growers, esp males

You should get P pulcher- out more

Hakuna

Arachnoknight
Tong feeding is risky business, I’ve had my close calls with specimens running up tongs just doing regular maintenance. Can’t imagine how it’d go with the food. Lots of bite reports of Ts running up tongs very easily. Be careful with that!

As for biting and leaving it...I’d say it simply wasn’t hungry and bit the prey out of defensiveness and came back to it later when it didn’t feel threatened....or maybe when it felt like eating. Hard to tell.

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
def fast growers, esp males

You should get P pulcher- out more
One or the reasons I got it was because it was a pet hole, but a beautiful one, and also to get a more defensive species, I like their attitudes. I have others that are docile and friendly always out that never hide and I wanted more of a pet hole while it being a treat for it to come out. I don't have many at all, but I'm grabbing another handful this weekend at a show. :)

Tong feeding is risky business, I’ve had my close calls with specimens running up tongs just doing regular maintenance. Can’t imagine how it’d go with the food. Lots of bite reports of Ts running up tongs very easily. Be careful with that!

As for biting and leaving it...I’d say it simply wasn’t hungry and bit the prey out of defensiveness and came back to it later when it didn’t feel threatened....or maybe when it felt like eating. Hard to tell.
Ya lol I don't want to play games. I don't handle any of them and they're all well respected displays best left alone other than feeding and maintenance.

Hakuna

Arachnoknight
Just know that if a T truly wants to
climb up your tongs and be on your arm...it’s going to do it. There’s not a dang thing you can do about it. Can confirm.

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
Just know that if a T truly wants to
climb up your tongs and be on your arm...it’s going to do it. There’s not a dang thing you can do about it. Can confirm.
I try to combat that as much as possible lol I like the sliding lids. Just opening enough to slide tongs in for maintenance, the slings tho can get past the opening but for an adult it's a squeeze, or at least I'm hoping it'll be somewhat of a deterrent. But never had it happen yet. I'm sure I will sooner or later But yes, they're gonna do what they want lol

A fat booty after it ate today.

PXL_20210922_065823233.jpg PXL_20210922_065911103.jpg